Best way to produce lots of threaded screws in wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabeta279

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to create a load of threaded screws in wood. I have a CNC, so it can easily create the inside screw parts, but won't have the depth required to create long screws.

I figure I need a lathe of some sorts to achieve this, can anyone recommend the sort of setup I need?

It needs to be reproduced and accurate to match the thread each time, however I'm not sure what technology for reproduction is in lathes these days. I've looked at CNC lathes as an option, but don't know if I just need some sort of autofeed or template on the lathe or the like??

Any tips most welcome!

If you mean threaded wooden rod then make yourself a threadbox and run dowel through it using a hand drill

Sorry - haven't got a lathe yet, so happy to get whatever suits. My CNC is a standard 3 axis, so no A axis unfortunately!

Threadbox looks like a good solution, although I guess I'd need to make one for each thread size I'd want, also a bit more labour intensive if I was producing lots of imagine!

Do copy lathes work to this level of detail or are they just for rough shapes?

What size / thread pitch do you need or have in mind - really effects the recommendation?!?!

With practice, thread chasing works pretty well on a lathe and chasers are very easy to make in any thread you want.
Tell me more. I've wondered if I could grind a bit of studding to make some? When I made that suggestion I was recommended to use an old tap, but the only old taps I have are the other sort.

Tell me more. I've wondered if I could grind a bit of studding to make some? When I made that suggestion I was recommended to use an old tap, but the only old taps I have are the other sort.
Either could work for internal thread chasing (external threads you just need flat bar) but might be difficult to hold. If you ground about 1 or 2cm of the studding or tap into a D-shape, then ground the rest to give clearance, that could work. Attached pic of a commercial internal chaser and a home made external one which might give you some more ideas.

Attachments

• IMGP4594.JPG
    IMGP4594.JPG
    350 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Have a look at www.fine-tools.com . They sell a range of threadbox cutters all the way from 10 mm to 62 mm. Not cheap but the cutting head is all metal. I have a set of the threadboxes made in Taiwan and they actually work very well. A lot depends on the wood species and some kind of lubrication is essential.

Latest posts

Back