Best way to cut sheet materials

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<i>Smarter</i> than the average bear?

Cheers, Alf

Who can do a not bad Yogi impression - "Boo-boo, bring that pic-a-nic basket. Boo-boo, bring that oversized tenon saw..."

Paul Kierstead":7ojyd8w0 said:
MikeW":7ojyd8w0 said:
Did I ever mention I once shot a grizzly that was almost 8' long at about 20 feet from me? At a full run when I shot...I wouldn't give him our pizza either :wink:

Holy rubbish!!! Or it would be in my shorts. Was it in a full run *at you*? If so, its a wonder that by sheer momentum it didn't end up on top of ya... (ok, sorry bit of physics there, but still...) ...
The was getting towards dusk and it was down hill from me at about 50 yards when I first saw it--and it smelled me. I was standing on an old logging road just above our cabin. By the time I realized it was at a dead run and I pulled out the pistol [yep, pistol] it had halved the distance. The first shot dropped it. After I got done patting myself on the back, I stepped down off the road and took a half dozen steps when it shot back up, and again, was at a dead run. The second shot didn't seem to have an effect. It turned less than 10 feet from me and kept going.

The next morning I needed to go find it as I knew it was wounded badly. When I found it, it was still breathing. Later that day when I was dressing it out, I realized my first shot with the .44 mag went through the chest where the neck joins, took a piece of the heart, exited the stomach and broke the right rear leg. The second shot entered the chest and was later found.

I understand that for the short term, they can run 30 mph or so. While I may have done various, er, substances in my youth, I was never as high as at the moment it turned away so close. I would have been dead.

On topic content? I used handsaws and a hatchet to build a tepee-type affair to hoist the pipper up.

Back to worky...Mike

now you really are showing off, hyped up, and using green wood techniques just so you could tow an old grizzly to the showroom :lol: :twisted:

so what's this plausible deniability, may have used???????

paul :wink:

Crikey, Mike. :shock:

At a loss for words*, Alf

* Yeah, yeah, I heard that "'bout time" at the back - very humorous :lol:

As exciting as the bear incident was, one of the high points living at the cabin was working deep in the woods. One memory impressed upon my mind was when I had removed a lady's roof in the middle of summer. It had been a warm day, but as evening crept up, the light breeze was refreshing. I had just finished hand-cutting the last of a dormer's rafters, installing as I went.

I had paused and reflected on the beauty of the scene around me. Gosh it was going to be a pretty sunset, I thought. The sea of tree tops swayed in the breeze as I looked down into the valley from this home perched on a hilltop.

That's when I noticed I had miscut a rafter and nailed it in place. Removing it proved difficult. I was about to cut it free with the saw which miscut it to begin with when I decided to lean out and around the gable-end and beat it free, one leg wrapped around the corner post.

When I awoke, I vaguely remembered seeing the 32-oz hammer as it glanced off the offending rafter and met my forehead. It was 18 feet to the downhill side of that home...

Have I mentioned the only wood working tools I have been hurt by are hand tools :lol:

Take care, Mike
who may get some sleep tonight...

The first shot dropped it. After I got done patting myself on the back, I stepped down off the road and took a half dozen steps when it shot back up, and again, was at a dead run.

The old rules are the best Mike - you were very lucky indeed... I'm thinking of the one that says 'never assume that dangerous game is dead until you have made sure'... :wink: Bears in particular are meant to be all but indestructible... Lucky man - I bet you sat down and trembled for a while...

MikeW":1jbp62ec said:
Did I ever mention I once shot a grizzly that was almost 8' long at about 20 feet from me? At a full run when I shot...I wouldn't give him our pizza either :wink:

MikeW":1jbp62ec said:
I used handsaws and a hatchet to build a tepee-type affair to hoist the pipper up.

Hey Mike,

When are we going to see the "Bear Hunter" line of handsaws. You could have an etch of a big grizzly on the blade. :D

No bears over here fortunately. Just snakes, crocs, funnel web spiders, irukandji jellyfish......!!!

Mirboo":3mjto2l1 said:
Hey Mike,

When are we going to see the "Bear Hunter" line of handsaws. You could have an etch of a big grizzly on the blade. :D
Hi Ian--you may not see a Bear Hunter line...though I have been asked about etching a Beaver on the toe of a half-back. In fact, there are 4 people wanting one...

Speaking of which, my etching equipment arrived today. Alf... :lol:

But we'll see how good it does over the weekend.
No bears over here fortunately. Just snakes, crocs, funnel web spiders, irukandji jellyfish......!!!
Yes, well, my local monsters are comfortable in that they are familiar to me.

Those jellyfish...nah. Keep 'em. At least I can see or smell bears...

irukandjijellyfish.jpg

Not even an inch across...

MikeW":70rkuzsa said:
Hi Ian--you may not see a Bear Hunter line...though I have been asked about etching a Beaver on the toe of a half-back. In fact, there are 4 people wanting one...

What is the significance of the Beaver? Are the 4 people dam builders or something? :D

Hi Ian and Paul--the Beaver etch started out as a joke by a guy on another forum.

But then over the next day or so, the thought kept coming back to him. So he started playing around with drawing one on the end of the saw and posted it.

A few other people saw it and were interested as well. Enough so I still get inquiries...

Take care, Mike

i don't know no sooner have we got the bears on our mind again,
pizza eating or not and now we are asked to understand beaver trimming.

and i thought this was a woodworking forum. must check the definition
of woodworking sometime. :lol: :lol: :lol:

diverting slightly back to topic. practical woodworking has an article
by ralph laughton about cutting sheet materials in the september 2006
issue. good for details of a cutting frame. also a decent article about
building a stud wall.

see ralph like me uses a dewalt 744. :twisted:

paul :wink:

Back