Best value sharpening jigs for gouges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
First off, I'm not after a general discussion on the merits and demerits of using jigs here. My wrists are not good enough to hold a large bowl gouge steady and get a good grind on it freehand, so I need equipment.

I'm buying a tool sharpening rest for my worksharp 3000 sharpener/grinder this week, and I'd like advice on what the best value for money (cheap and good both) jig set is. I need to sharpen and grind the full set, spindle gouge, roughing gouge, bowl gouge, scraper, oval skew and I'd like to make better (preferably fingernail or Irish grind) profiles on the bowl gouges, as most of them came with no sweep at all and so can only really be used on a push cut.

The rest is Tormek compatible, and if money was no object I'd go straight for their jigs, but since it *is* an object, I'm considering the Jet ones, unless anyone has any better ideas? I've looked about but finding out what each jig manufacturer is compatible with can often be a fair bit of digging, that gets rather time consuming and frustrating.

Hope someone can help!

Nic.

A lot of awesome information there. Thanks folks!

I like the informative instructions on building your own. I'm not sure I will have the time and energy to make one, but it certainly gives some insight into how they work to provide the fingernail grind. Might help with making the best use of another one.

Has anyone ever had any use of the Jet or Record Power jigs? Jets are cheaper, but but sort of look cheaper if you know what I mean. I'm not certain keeping the pin seated in that little slot in the bar support will be very easy, since the sharpener I have is a flat Table-like shape and you sharpen on it's upper surface, so the jig will be pointing downwards rather than across. I guess there's nothing wrong with me mounting the whole thing on a plate and angling it 90Degrees when I'm using the jig tho? I can't imagine any gearing or anything that would harm the motor just being tilted...

Thanks for the info and help so far.

Nic.

I have both the Jet and Tormek spindle gouge jigs and would say that it is in your best interest to get the Tormek one. the jet/Record style has a tendency to jump out of the shallow notch in the base part of the jig so you are concentrating more ion keeping that in place than sharpening. With the Tormek the jig slides into a tube that is held in place with a locking ring and this assembly then slides onto the support bar. Very secure and totally repeatable.

Hi

Additionally to Procell's comment - with the Tormek jig you can easily move it sideways during the grind to reduce uneven wear on the wheel, with the Jet it looks like you would have to unlock the cradle from the bar which I guess could posibly alter the grind characteristic unless you were careful in re-positioning.

Regards Mick

I do love the looks of the Tormek jig. It's just the price that's stunning. I guess I could shell out for the gouge jig from Tormek, then the more simple ones from jet.

I wonder if I could knock up a Tormek style lower half for the jet... then again thinking of how much time is worth per hour... it's probably just worth giving the cash to Tormek, straight off the bat.

Thanks for the help folks.

Nic.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

DSCN4258 (Large).JPG

DSCN4259 (Large).JPG

DSCN4260 (Large).JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4258 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4258 (Large).JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 2,484
  • DSCN4259 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4259 (Large).JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,485
  • DSCN4260 (Large).JPG
    DSCN4260 (Large).JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 2,485
Thanks for all the tips guys. That last illustration looks not only awesome but surprisingly easy to make Chas, I'd happily have a go at that.

The biggest problem with most of these designs is the awkward way that the worksharp works on the horizontal plane, the tool rest goes into position above it, and the tools angle a little awkwardly downwards to the abrasive surface. This makes free standing jigs very hard to use, unless I was to tilt the whole machine by 90 degrees while using it for my gouges. I worry about doing that, as the wood turning tools are probably the biggest strain on the motor to sharpen due to their size and hardness, so putting extra strain on the motor and bearings by tilting the machine as well as using it to the max for a big 3/4 inch bowl gouge, seems to me to be risking the whole £250 machine.

I think, to save the machine, I may sacrifice my pride a little and just burn the cash to get a Tormek jig for the gouges. Totally against my principles as a scotsman to go for the most expensive option, and I almost feel like I'm letting down all those kind enough to post all the very illuminating info here, but it will still get used if I do ever blow the motor on my Worksharp :)

Thanks again.

Nic.

Back