Best Value for Money multi-tool blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
Good day Sirs,
Can anyone recommend me which multi-cutter blades you have found to be the best and provide the best value for money?
I have had a couple of bosch blades,some cheap $1 blades from china, than also I got given few free saxton blades ( not impressed with them, no different really than the cheap $1 chinese blades but more expensive) , I heard that the fein blades are pretty good.

value for money at least for me means- I will buy a £10 blade if it will last me 5x longer than a £1 blade and will give better/faster cut.
If however a £5 blade is only a bit better than £1 blade I will use the £1 stuff.
thanks.

You have to play a different game with multi tool blades.

Keep packets of cheap ones around for junky jobs and cuts where you are unsure of what you're cutting into (maybe hidden nails etc).
For jobs where quality of cut is needed you break out the Fein or maybe Bosch blades.
For non quality cuts you can cut some new teeth into an old blade with an angle grinder with a 1mm disk on it.

No skills":2wkm38hx said:
You have to play a different game with multi tool blades.

Keep packets of cheap ones around for junky jobs and cuts where you are unsure of what you're cutting into (maybe hidden nails etc).
For jobs where quality of cut is needed you break out the Fein or maybe Bosch blades.
For non quality cuts you can cut some new teeth into an old blade with an angle grinder with a 1mm disk on it.
I just saw a video where a guy takes a micro-file and files in new teeth in old worn out blades!
Brilliant, I got loads of those! :D

I've don that (tooth filing). It worked passably well on my Bosch semicircular blades, but how well depends enormously what you're cutting and how: I had to rip into some floorboards, and the tooth profile was poor. Cross-cutting was a lot easier.

I've never used Fein blades (I have a Bosch tool and they don't fit it), but the Bosch ones are pretty poor. Their straight fast-cutting timber blades all seem to have a Japanese cross-cutting profile, which is useless for ripping. They don't seem to make any sort of ripping-profile-tooth blade (that I could easily find).

I like Saxton blades, but with one caveat: They're thicker than the Bosch ones, usually. This means more work for the tool, and the battery life is reduced.

So far I haven't found anyone who sells blades designed for the tasks I usually need them for. There are plenty for metal, with profiles like hacksaw blades, but the wood ones are not well thought through. The biggest issue is that the tooth profiles usually match those of handsaws, i.e. cut in one direction only. This means the blade scuffs on the return stroke, and blunts quickly.

I find the tool really useful, but most of all for metal and masonry (carbide chip "teeth"), where it's really good. The tooth profiles for wood are at best disappointing.

Eric, not really got the patience for hand files hence the grinder - the semi circular blades often are a very fine tooth pattern which is only good for the finest of cuts - I attack them with a cutting disk when their past best.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_7ZG57DlZZ/

Helps clear the waste quickly and adds a few bigger cutting edges. Keeping the blade rocking in the cut helps massively with cut speed and waste clearance - see folks not doing this and smoking the blades and not getting anywhere :roll:

The Fein blades do last longer, but not four times the price longer, they do however give a more controlled cut being that much thinner, the Saxton blades I find perfectly OK for anything else, but don't expect them to last, buy cheap, buy plentiful and throw them away when finished, I can't be bothered with sharpening them.

Mike

CMT have recently launched a range of multitool blades - their quality and prices are usually on the game, but I have not done back to back comparison yet

Having tried various, I tend to stick with the Fein blades: better cut, better finish, last well. That said, I am not using my Fein multitool day in day out so consumable costs are not really an issue. I have tried cheap blades and was unimpressed by finish and longevity.

the Vaunt ITS box of blades for multitools is pretty good. I've done all sorts of horrible bodge work on cars with them and they are still sharp etc.
And in wood they are more than adequate too.

Forum newbie here! :roll:

Personally I go with the 15 for £20 flea-bay blades. I have Fein blades and have used Bosch, they are better quality blades for sure. However, this being said I tend to use my multi tool in old timber with high risk of nails or bursting through into masonry. I prefer the peace of mind that I'm not wasting blades that cost more than my hourly rate just to rip off fascia boards, skirting etc.

If you want a top quality cut, don't use a multi tool

For nail cutting, carbide blades are superb. Not the cheapest (around 30-40 quid each iirc) but the time saved instead of using a reciprocating saw or pad saw, makes them well worth considering.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Forgot-
I have got some of screwfix's erbauer blades to try on the works multitool - up till now we have been using dewalt blades on it which are better than most cheap ones I've used but not as good as the Fein's I've used at home.

I'll report back once I've abuse a couple of them.

ok, I ended up ordering those saxton blades, 8 blades for £15
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370782194384? ... EBIDX%3AIT
( all of them seems useful not like with other sets which I saw where they include stuff no1 will ever use)

Will post a review If I will remember , once I get them and test them out for a while.
A bit weird that they charge for their blades less on Ebay (where they have to pay fees) than they sell them for in their own online shop...

Well I've tried most of the replacement blades for my Fein, and purely down to cost I buy the Saxton ones.
Ok they might not last as long as the genuine Fein ones but at the price you pay for the Fein blades, the Saxton one's are a no brainer.

I use my Fein most days and get through a lot of blades, so Saxton for me.

Mark.

Latest posts

Back