Best tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too hard to pick one single tool. I couldn't even do a top three. If we're talking about machinery, then I guess it'd have to the the Jet P/T. Not a particularly exciting machine but it's a joy to use and has really opened up the possibilities for me. Hand tools? Probably the spokeshaves, just because I really enjoy using them. Tho the Veritas LAS is becoming a fav. Used it to flush some lipping the other day and I really enjoyed it, which is weird coming from a 'Normite'.

But I'm slowly building up a collection of tools that I really rate. Drill Press, Lathe, Routers, SCMS, Drill, Bandsaw, Extractors, Circular Saws, Sanders. All good solid tools that I'm happy with. Some I'd upgrade if I could but that's not to say I'm not happy with them, equally.

Then there's the layout tool which are invaluable, couldn't be without them.

It's easier to ask me what tools I LOATH. That's a cinch! :lol:

wizer":3lwnrs71 said:
It's easier to ask me what tools I LOATH. That's a cinch! :lol:

anything from dakota - correctomundo ? ;) :lol:

like tom i couldnt pick just one tool thats the best but lathe, bandsaw, and new (to me ) T11 router and table would probably be my top 3

I'd have to say my chopsaw was the tool that really changed things for me. Before this, I was using either a hand saw or a jigsaw to cut wood to size. I considered it a job well done if I got within 10 degrees or 10mm of where I wanted to be! :shock:

The chopsaw really opened up a whole new world where things were actually the desired length and square.

I guess 'best tool' would depend on what I'm working on. I work mostly with reclaimed wood from pallets, so my MacAllister Thicknesser has proved invaluable in cleaning and smoothing all the rough planks. Likewise, my Axminster AWSBS2 bandsaw has meant I can rip and square planks to size much easier than with my cheapo tablesaw. My scrollsaw means I can make intricate shapes and lettering to sell.

Yeah, so i can't really pick a 'best tool'. :oops: :lol:

I was going to nominate my lathe (Vicy 300 Short Bed) but I think the Henry Taylor HS1 gouge beats it. There is not much I turn it does not have a hand in + HT are a fantastic company to deal with, even as a one off hobby turner.

No connection, just a very happy customer.

S

Nobex Champion - quiet and very accurate (more than any chop saw i have ever used).

pren":1ulckdou said:
The chopsaw really opened up a whole new world where things were actually the desired length and square.

Chopsaw was my first purchase in 'seriousish' wood mangling kit. Got one after I had a go on the builders one when they were working next door. Meant that I too got square ends, not nessacelery the right length though. :roll: My 'bestish' purchase was probably my Fox planer/thicknesser, opened up a whole new world to me.

Not really sure if this counts as a tool as such but I bought a ruler stop for my 30cm metal ruler, its a fantastic little device and I use it all the time. It just makes setting things up and measuring tolerances so much easier. And its not even the shiny Veritas one, just a cheapo Axminster.

Toby

For me it would be a choice between my LN 4 1/2, which has transformed my opinion of hand planing,

421044_l.jpg

or my drill powered pencil sharpener which has transformed my pencils:

02001_l.jpg
[/img]

Easy-18v cordless drill. I do a lot of work on site and it's very rare it doesn't get employed at some point. It's been a real workhorse but the batteries are on their way out now so I may upgrade to a Lithium model, or whatever the latest long life battery is.
Cheers John

What a difficult question. In terms of bang per buck it would be just about the first tool I ever bought - a B&Q multi-headed screwdriver which only passed away a few weeks ago after about 12 years use and all manner of abuse.

Working on site I would have to say it would be the Makita cordless drill, <£100, three batteries and a good amount of power. Something I really like about it is the fact that with a regular spade bit in it still just fits between two joists which makes drilling for wires easy.

In the shop it would be the SCMS, suddenly being able to cut cleanly, squarely and quickly has been a real boost. Knocked it out of square the other day though so I've got to find out how to fix that some time...

well at the risk of disappointing everyone by going low-fi, i'd say without doubt a click pencil (as a poss to a standard fixed lead, that goes from sharp to blunt 4 times a day +/- up to 1mm)

And if we dont count that as a tool, an adjustable square.

Back