Best tool to remove window frame return?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen that( called not surprisingly " the step system") the whole job sounds a bit faulty tbh hence I've not commented. but 28mm glass is not the most efficient. 20mm is.( due to eddy currents.) also this whole attunement will need replacing as 28mm is prone to blowing in wood

The tool is definitely a multi tool as has been said, plus lots of careful chiselling and sanding - still not sure how it will look (from the outside as well as inside.

Is it really necessary to remove the opening casement? You could reglaze it if the glass is not what you want and then fix the casement in place, removing all the hardware.

Cheers

I've seen that( called not surprisingly " the step system") the whole job sounds a bit faulty tbh hence I've not commented. but 28mm glass is not the most efficient. 20mm is.( due to eddy currents.) also this whole attunement will need replacing as 28mm is prone to blowing in wood
I had two large windows replaced 18 months ago. I was assured the most efficient DG is 28mm, 4mm - 20mm - 4mm. It does seem open to debate, though.

Cut enough out with a multitol to get a Panel saw in there (Rip rather than crosscut if you have one) and do the rest with that. Using a drill and carfully adding pilot holes before the multitool may help with dust removal.

To be honest it seems like a bodge.... but in the vein of bodging, as you suggested, you could bed the glass in the existing rebate and in effect fit a face frame over the outside of it, with glazing silicone to bed it in, which would easily take up your 2mm discrepancy

I'd have that frame out and make something new.

Edit to add: im assuming the frame is set into a reveal with coverage over the head?

Its like polishing a :poop: I cant see it ever being anything more, terrible idea.

I wouldn't even give it a second look if someone asked me to do it, even if I could put the window on the bench to work on and with all the gear.

I wouldnt attempt it with just a multi tool, a well set up palm router with a carrage as suggested would be my first coice to hog it out, use some mdf with a depth that suits whatever follower cutter u have (preferably a new one) and pin or screw that to the internal piece of frame your not removing, adjust ad make a few pass's if necessary . Have fun running shavings in your hair for 30 mins and then finish off the corners with the multitool and or chisels. you could add an additional flat bead internally to to get over any unsightly cuts if they occur.

Been done before. good luck

Chris

Its like polishing a :poop: I cant see it ever being anything more, terrible idea.

I wouldn't even give it a second look if someone asked me to do it, even if I could put the window on the bench to work on and with all the gear.
In the real world you have to polish a few turds from time to time, my man here came to this forum for the best polishing advice.
You know the rest
Chris

bodge or not. I would bet my corded fein starlock with a coarse japanese blade would be your best bet. this tool is smooth and shockingly effective in pine with aforementioned blades from shark.

Back