best speed??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markus

Established Member
Reaction score
whats the best speed to run these bigger router cutters at (ie raise panel,hand rail ect ect) they all state a maximum rpm but not an actual ideal rmp,does any one have any help on this matter

I don't think there is an ideal speed to run these cutters as there are so many things to take into consideration:

Wood density / hardness
Depth of cut
Width of cut
Feed speed of workpiece etc....

All these factors including the cutter speed will also have an impact on the quality of the cut.

The speed quoted by the manufacturer is the cutters maximum safe working speed.

Unless anybody knows differently I would say its an experience thing, you can usually tell if it feels and sounds right.

Pete

I've always been under the impression that the bigger the cutter the slower you should run it and the more shallower the cut - I could be talking crazy talk though, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will confirm.

Shultzy's link pretty well covers it. A 1/2" straight bit at 20,000 rpm is moving at 13 m/s (roughly 30 mph), at the same rpm an 80 mm panel raiser is moving at 83 m/s at the outside edge (185 mph). For a large bit like that the slowest setting you've got would be about right, I reckon.

This is a very important safety issue.

The bigger the cutter the slower it must run.

The largest router cutters are only designed to run safely in a table set up.

David

Hi
What David just said is right.
The peripheral speed of the cutter should remain the same no matter what size of cutter you are running. For harder or more abrasive materials the cutter speed would be slowed down but would still need the same peripheral speed for the different sized cutters on that material.

All the best

John

Back