Best small chop saw for small workshed??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevebod

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just completed anothr shed build which I intend to move into for small woodworking projects. (Shed is 12ft * 8ft). I had thought I would move my Metabo sliding saw into the shed and make a "blister" at the back of the shed to accomodate it, but now I have it in there I think it is just going to be too big? (Currently I can only use it outside on a stand, so fair weather use only). So I will probably leave it where is (under a bench), for the occasional times I need longer cuts.

Therefore I am looking for recommendations for a smaller / "fixed" chop saw to go into the new shed and would welcome any recommendations. NB Mains powered is fine...and I only consider myself a "bodger" so does not need to be particularly high quality, (and I assume being fixed rather than sliding it may be more accurate anyway??)

Many thanks for any feedback...

stev
all high end siders are accurate......
just a suggestion if u want a Miter saw and a bench saw u could do worse than the DeWalt or Makita flip Saw...
plenty of used models inc even cheaper 110v......they are very easy to flip from one mode to the other.....
this way u get a decent saw in both modes....
ps they are industrial qual and bomb proof.......
£200-300 would get u a good used model either voltage....
although it has tubular legs mine had wheels as well......
very much regret selling mine....
Unknown-5.jpeg
just an idea.......

Starting out I bought a Makita LS 10 something. Worked brilliantly for 15 yrs or so I swapped it out for a sliding Dewalt.

If I remember correctly I got back 50% of the purchase price after 15 yrs use.

Hi, and thanks for the advice, not considered a flip top, but seems like a good idea....!!

Hi, and thanks for the advice, not considered a flip top, but seems like a good idea....!!
My take on flip saws...
Neither fish nor fowl. I have an old Elektra Beckum KGT500. It's a really solidly built thing with a great induction motor and a diecast aluminium table, but it's a total pig to tilt when in table mode, which is how I use it 98% of the time. The other big problem is that the mitre slots are dovetail in cross section, which makes it tricky for crosscut sleds. I've had it close to 20 years, and I'll probably never replace it, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also, dust collection is totally ineffectual.

I've just been given a DeWalt flip saw so it's nice to here theses reviews , especially after my mitre saw just gave up !
Just a shame I can't put it into position of the new workstation I built around my old mitre saw lol

Starting out I bought a Makita LS 10 something. Worked brilliantly for 15 yrs or so I swapped it out for a sliding Dewalt.

If I remember correctly I got back 50% of the purchase price after 15 yrs use.

I just picked up a 20+ year old one in mint condition, small, portable robust and accurate, perfect to keep in the van 👍

Makita saw 1.jpg

Makita saw 2.jpg

Looks like they haven't changed it much as the current offering looks very similar if not identical.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-l...ic-single-bevel-compound-mitre-saw-240v/336hg

I need to find one after a cheapy chop/mitre saw packed up - originally from Homebase about 20 years ago. Fi e for what I needed back then.
I keep getting Evolution mitre saws in my feed - and emails after signing up to them when looking for further information on them. Prices appear quite good. Tempted by a double bevel but for the size... Sometimes they have what the refer to as refurbished stock - most turn out to be 110v though.

I've a slightly smaller workshop area to yours... only a few inches but... at 11' 7" x 7' 7", internal, it gets to be a bit of a squeeze.

Back