Best sliding mitre saw (compound?) for around £250?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Any advice appreciated, I generally tend to go for good makes and spec (Makita, Bosch, Metabo etc.) but realise that it may be difficult at this price point.

I'm about to build a nice solid shed and an 11m x 4m timber framed workshop. I've not done anything like this before other than large log stores and am thinking that one of these saws would be useful. Would love a table saw but don't have the space or the budget at the moment. Would also like a circular saw but I'm sure I can scrounge one.

So I guess most of it will be for cutting up to 4" thick and cutting the angles for rafters. Being able to cut boards up to 200-300mm wide would be useful too.

Cheers

Dave

Does the silence mean that I need to up the budget :wink:

Or have I missed a similar recent thread?

If push comes to shove I could probably jump to the £300-400 bracket :roll: so would be interested in opinions on either options.

Cheers

Dave

I have a sliding Makita chop saw that I got used for around the price you suggest so they are available. I have also heard quite good reports from the evolution saws but have no experience of them.

Mick

I personally wouldnt recommend one of the evolution saws, they seem to spin a bit too slow even with a fine cutting blade. I was trying to use mine for skirting and architrave and it really wasnt leaving a nice finish. I heard a few good things about the 8inch sliding hitachi. Finding a saw that will cut 4inch thick timber for less than £250 will be tough as you typically need a 10 or 12 inch saw.

Hi Dave, I have a 10" ryobi sliding chop saw that has served me pretty well over the years however I don't know if the later models are built to the same standard ? . . . the newer ones seem less expensive but I payed around £270 for mine about 6-7 years ago and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Phil.

I own this bad boy!

makita-ls1018l_4d4565a557aa8.jpg

405 quid delivered here!

probably get it cheaper don't really know what brizzle is like for independent tool shops, but they would usually cut you a deal to shift some stock.

some pros,

the laser guide is good and pretty accurate. works well with mitre cutting.

the angles are very repeatable with the clamps holding very well. you can select any angle you want and clamp it down.

huge cutting capacity, also not that i suggest it you can cut up mdf pretty well to the right size, and rip timber pretty well. like i said don't try this at home

included blade is not to shabby cuts hardwood, softwood, mdf pretty well. mines been used quite heavy for the last year to a hobbyist standard and its still pretty sharp..

cons

the trenching facility is ok but can change depth quite easily so you don't always end up with a perfect trenches, but there are ways around this.

the supporting bars are pineapple useless i hope mine was a friday afternoon machine as they droop about 5mm below the saw bed

the bars stick out a long way ( the same on most sliding saws) very annoying as it wont sit on my bench so its having its own bench built.

don't want to put you off too much as it is a great saw and i have done lots of cool things with mine its very reliable. my advice would be to go to a large shop where they have them on display and have a fiddle and ask some questions.

but if you need trenched compound mitres then this saw is great

ask any questions lots i haven't covered.

adidat

I have a metabo saw not sure about the model number. Don't think mine will cut 4 inch thick. But has done plenty of sterling work and still going strong. Well worth the money.

what about a second hand dewalt ras, maybe better suited for your large stock. can either go in the workshop afterwards or sell for what you paid for it.

nathan

Back