best router for worktops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
Am askin a lot of questions, hope I'm not outstaying my welcome on the forum. this one's important though ; I do a lot of kitchen fitting, and need to buy a new router for jig/worktop use. I used to let my friend do all the worktops, but it is proving too expensive and i have now bought a jig (400mm to 750mm) for worktops and need a router.
I have a few routers, including a bosch and a small makita, but none have the guts to cut worktops. I made the mistake of buying an Erbauer 2100w router for 70 quid and ended up having to buy the customer a new worktop and myself a new jig (temper temper).

So, the best router (jig needs 300mm guide bush) for cutting worktops is........

Any help will be seriously appreciated.

I've known people who use the Makita 3612CX router for this kind of thing and it works very well for them. I own this router myself and, although I've been delighted with its performance, I've never fitted a kitchen myself. :)

I fit loads of kitchens and use the Makita 3612c router, haven't had any problems yet with it.

If its the best you want then the new Festool 2200 at £500+ is the best :)

I have the Dewalt 626 which is good for worktops, thinking of getting Festool OF1400 which will do worktops and is only £350 ish a bargain for Festool.

Dewalt 625 is OK according to most people on here but I had one that fell apart had it replaced and that one fell apart too so Dewalt gave me the 626 and touch wood thats been great.

Whatever you buy, don't try to cut it in one go, as I've seen some people try to do :shock: :shock:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

ok guys, all good. chippy, can you tell me if the festool 1400 is the pistol grip router, and if at 1400 watts it is pokey enough to cut the worktops. Is the pistol grip going to help or hinder?

Makita 3612 is a good option, as i said i already own a smaller makita. There is a difference between the ratings of the 240v and 110v machines, the 110v having slightly less wattage. I am aware that the wattage the manufacturers quote is input wattage, not output, and therefore not a direct indication of power.

With regards to cutting in one go I always take 5 or 6 passes, but a colleague sometimes cuts the veneered edge in one and then resets the router to a shallower setting and continues. Comments?

Finally, any ideas on the hitachi mv12 for this sort of work?

Thanks a lot folks

I've helped a friend do several using the Hitachi M12V2 - 110 Volts. A true 'Beast' but it sure handles the work!

Everyone has their preferences and you probably won't go far wrong with any of the big names.

Ive got both the 3612 and the T11 in 110v and find them both more than powerfull enough.However I would say the makita seems nicer to use as its not as heavy as the Trend.
Chris

ok guys - makita looks good.

How about the freud ft2000e? Does anyone know this model, and does anyone use one for kitchens?

chris, do you use both for kitchen worktops, and am i right about the makita dropping down to 1600w on the 110v? Thanks mate
Roger, think the hitachi may be available locally to me for approx 150quid so maybe....
Freud, don't they make routers for everyone else? Sure I saw a draper that looked identical for half the price.
Thanks all.

I use a De Walt 625 but also own the Hitachi and the Freud and I consider both good enough for worktops. A friend of mine also uses the makita 3612 and he swears by it. As has been stated any of the big brand names are OK. :wink:

I havnt been out to workshop but I'm almost certain the 110v makita is 1850 watts.Most variable speed motors tend to up the wattage to compensate for the variable speed.Most single speed tools tend to have a smaller motor.
Yes I do use the makita for worktops, you will be more than pleased with the performance.
Chris

Neilyweely,

Yes the 1400 has a side handle apparently it takes a bit of getting used to but ask anyone whos got one and they say they are great. They have so many good ideas on them, the guide bushes just clip on (no screws) the fence locks on with just one turn of a knob, the knob that locks the height locks on both columns at the same time, etc etc.

I have spoken to loads of people who use them for worktops with no problems it may only be 1400 watts but its a quality router. I have the big Dewalt 626 I use now which is 2300 watts.

I have not got one yet but will be getting one take a look

http://www.festool.co.uk/images/gb_down ... of1400.pdf

chippy
thanks for all the advice mate, i have checked the 1400 festool and like the way it looks. Chippy, i may be able to pick up a dewalt 2000w router from a friend, free, which obviously answers all my questions.
however, if not......

th

Watts is watts. 1400W is enough - but only just. A 1400W router is going to work to its limit for a 40mm worktop (assuming you don't want to p about with 5mm cuts that is). I know, cos I've done several kitchens with a Hitachi TR12 (1350W) and a Bosch 1400W. S'okay for the odd DIY kitchen job, but a day-in dayout pro needs 1850W or bigger machine if it's going to last. My Hitachi M12V eats the stuff by comparison. Hope you can get the Dewalt you mentioned. :wink:

Ike

ike":3nr2txzm said:
Watts is watts. 1400W is enough - but only just. A 1400W router is going to work to its limit for a 40mm worktop (assuming you don't want to p about with 5mm cuts that is). I know, cos I've done several kitchens with a Hitachi TR12 (1350W) and a Bosch 1400W. S'okay for the odd DIY kitchen job, but a day-in dayout pro needs 1850W or bigger machine if it's going to last. My Hitachi M12V eats the stuff by comparison. Hope you can get the Dewalt you mentioned. :wink:

Ike

What do you mean p about with 5mm cuts ? thats exactly how you are supposed to do it if you want a good job that is its the same for most routing jobs, you get a better cut if you do it in several passes.

how do you do it all in one hit Ike ?

As far as I know that is not the limit of the Festool it handles it with ease but I can only go on what I am told by several 1400 owners, there are plenty of "day in day out pros" who use them.

As I say I have the big Dewalt 626 2300 watt router there is not a lot more powerful than that one but if I can get away with using the 1400 I will as its a much better built router.

Well done Neilyweely sounds like you have had a result

No mate, can't do it in one hit!. I found about a 10mm bite was pushing it hard enough. If I can hit a quality joint with 4 passes, i'm happy. Any more to me is a PITA. With a new cutter though, that would be comfortable but not for long on the chipboard - better on hardwood.

Edit: Maybe the Festool power rating is output and not input? That could explain why it copes as you say it does. I don't know about the Festool. I couldn't ever justify the price premium over say, a Hitachi for example.

Everyones got their own way - I respect that :wink:

Ike

Come to think of it I probably do 8mm at a time don't really think about it to be honest.

I became a Festool convert last year I always had the same opinion that I could not justify it or that it was over priced.

Once you use it you are hooked I too am a pro but I have been getting fed up with the quality of all the other makes. I have the TS55 (rail saw) a vac to go with it and the small planer. don't get me wrong I am not a Festool preacher :lol: I just think their stuff is so well thought out and made. I still question some purchases like I need a new chopsaw and have looked at the Festool Kapex but I still cant quiet bring myself to buy a £900 chopsaw.

Latest posts

Back