Best route for A1 to Killinghall (north of Harrogate)??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetty

Established Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I drive to Killinghall (north of Harrogate, HG3 2BG) from Suffolk, northbound up the A1. Any recommendations to which routeis best when leaving the A1 (around midday)? The maps show two possibles:

A661 via Harrogate then A59
or
B6165 via Knaresborough then A61

?

There is not much in it. I would go through Harrogate personally. As long as you avoid the morning rush I never get too held up in traffic whereas in knaresborough you can get held up quite badly at times. I assume that to will come up via wetherby? The route planner may take you higher up and back along the a59. That is a long way round in my opinion. The wetherby to Harrogate road is a bit windy but isn't a bad route and will send you right through the centre of Harrogate (and beyond to killinghall) just keep going straight!

I've done this run loads (dad lives in Ripley) - my favourite and I do prefer to avoid Harrogate, is off at the Knaresborough t/off A59*, onto roundabout right into Knaresborough still A59 and through to Ripley B6165. At Ripley r/about left (south) about a mile into Killinghall.
I've never had problems clearing Knaresborough quickly, whereas Hgte can be very unpredictable and is a big lump to cross - I grew up there and know all the ways through, I reckon it's a pain.

* where Marcros and I meet to exchange wood :)

Back