Best place to buy wood in East Sussex ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forums and was looking to get into some woodworking inspired by the beautiful work I've seen on sites like http://www.davidbarronfurniture.co.uk/d ... oto=photo1 and others.

Obviously I intend to massacre some cheap B&Q white wood before spending big bucks on fine hardwood like that but as a matter of interest, can anyone tell me if/where it is possible to go in/around East Sussex to browse wood of a standard like that ?

I also intend to build a workbench but looking around the price of wood seems high, I was wondering if there are any buying tips that can releive the strain.

Thanks,

Boo

Welcome to the forum :D

Avoid B&Q whitewood -go to a timber merchant and buy planed softwood.

I made my bench from some beautiful old pine I picked up for less than £100 from Oxford Wood Recycling. There's probably a similar place in East Sussex.
IMG_0274.JPG

If you do end up in B&Q/Wickes, make sure you select your boards carefully and don't buy a multipack - they seem to hide all the warped, split expensive firewood in those!
I must be losing it a bit, but I look forward to a trip to English Woodlands Timber more than a day in the pub nowadays, it's a great yard.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 140
If you are near Lewes there is a place itimber.
Czcech/Slovak Guys they have a big barn full of Oak and Beech and Ash, some kiln dried some green, They are very reasonable and will sell you small amounts i'm sure.

Wenban Smith in lewes is reasonable, but not always the cheapest.
EC Forest product in whitesmith is good for oak.

Thanks for all the replies, lots there to check out.

Boo

Be careful how you look at this - it's very easy to think great, I've saved fifteen or twenty quid ... then you come to do the work and it takes you a half a day longer because you've bought garbage. CLS comes into this category, it can land you with a whole lot of extra work. You can use practically anything, but be aware - it depends where your priorities lie.

Back