Best Place for Timber in Greater Manchester?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm near Bolton, looking for some fairly priced timber. I'm after sapele to start.

I have done a search on the forum, a few of the threads have places which are no longer open. I sent Illingworth Ingham in Manchester a request for a quote, and they quoted me a price way above what I could get the wood for on various websites.

I also emailed Brooks Bros in Skelmersdale and they basically said they couldn't help me and referred me to a local joiners. I think they may have gotten the wrong end of the stick and thought I wanted to buy some furniture instead of the wood for the furniture but I might be wrong.

I think decent timber merchants are still catching up to the rest of the world in terms of the internet so they're not as easy to find as some of the big box stores. Maybe I'm of the generation where I don't trust anyone with a dodgy looking website.

Edit: I've checked on the local section of this site, but a few of the websites are no longer active and what's there doesn't give much indication of quality.

Does anyone have a good source in the Greater Manchester area? I don't mind a reasonable drive but I don't want to be making two hour round trips for a negligible saving.

Thanks.

Back