best joints to use for outdoor furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbibiza

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm about to start a project building a number of pieces of outdoor terrace furniture for a friends bar in spain, and i'd like advice/thoughts on the best joints to use. The furniture is single and double seater couches and small tables, and will be used extensively, and they'll all remain outside for the duration of the summer, its also located in the port area so there can be a fair amount of humidity on a regular basis. I'll be making all the joints with a router. I'm undecided between using mortise and tenon, half flap and halving joints at this stage. The m+t seems pretty labour intensive for the amount of pieces. Any advice appreciated.

thanks
D

If traditional joints seem laborious, then a combination of dowels, bed bolts and barrel nuts might work.

Its not that all joints are laborious, just that the mortise and tenon seems to be with the straightening of corners on all mortises, etc. I want to use joints, just looking for advice on which would be the best in the circumstances.... If M+T is the best then thats what i'll do, and i'm all for saving money on hardware costs.

Be cautious if you decide to use dowels. Most bought dowels are made of beech and therefore have little rot resistance.
Although i imagine Spain is slightly less damp than here. With a waterproof wood glue and a decent finish you should be ok.
M&T probably safest, if its worth the effort.
If you are making a lot of joints the same can you make up a jig for the router?

Latest posts

Back