Best "house brands"?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogggyTown

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't realise it, but after it has been mentioned in a few threads I get the definite impression that Rutland's Dakota brand is pants.

I'm looking to buy a new set of 1/2" router cuttrers and I don't want to spend the earth. Who's house brand is a safe bet? Axminster? Screwfix? Machine Mart?

Hi,

I think my house brand Lie Nilsen 60 1/2 is very good. :wink:

Pete

Not sure if the budget will run to it, but Axmister have a set of 13 CMT 1/2" cutters on sale at the moment IIRC £130 instead of £300+.

Simon

At the risk of all that goes with publicly agreeing with Tom :lol: :lol:

I too favour Wealden for a good balance of quality, price and speed of service.

Bob

Greetings

Whilst the CMT set from Axminster is a good deal, how many of the set will you actually use - if you will only use half, say, it may be cheaper to just buy individual bits as you need them.

In that case, I would go for Wealden/CMT

If you go for Trend remember they have 3 grades - Hobby,. Light Trade and Professional

Regards

I have a few Wealden bits and they are very good quality. They also provide an efficient , friendly and professional service.

Thumbs up for Wealden. :)

Tony.
ps I am nursing a snotty nose at the moment. :cry:

Perform (Axminster) aren't bad... I still find Wealden's cutters to be a whole lot better! :wink:

Wealden for me 8) good quality without the blah blah my colour's better than your colour etc.
good range and good service to boot.

Do not buy 'Sets', you will be paying for bits you'll never use.
Buy only the cutter bit you want at the time, it will gradually build itself into a 'Set' with bits that you will use.

John. B

The ones mentioned are wil do the job...
but if you are looking at a set take a look at the Trend sets they are good value from an agent outlet.

Mike

Why buy a set of router cutters? Its false economy.

Just buy the ones you need from Wealden as and when. There's no minimum order and postage is free.

Wealden are as close to the perfect company as I have ever found.

Cheers
Brad

John. B":1540edwq said:
Wealden for me 8) good quality without the blah blah my colour's better than your colour etc.
good range and good service to boot.

Do not buy 'Sets', you will be paying for bits you'll never use.
Buy only the cutter bit you want at the time, it will gradually build itself into a 'Set' with bits that you will use.

John. B

I would agree with you about not buying sets except for the whimsical way I work. When I decide I want some kind of moulded feature I go to the box of cutters for inspiration. I try a few passes on some scrap to see what I think looks the most appropriate for the look I want. (Talk about working bassackwards!)

Depends where you are on the learning curve IMO.
If the person is just starting off a set of router cutters enables him to try the various mouldings, top and bottom bearing guides etc at a greatly reduced cost, and lets face it many people can only judge to buy separately when they have the knowledge of what they want, what size shank is better for what they are producing, what mouldings look correct etc.
If you take a look at Whealands catalogue, the cutters come in all sizes and shapes and can confuse.
And to be fare many of us started with boxed sets, for that reason, and I suspect like me we are glad we have them when that unexpected job crops up.

Mike

Back