Best hinges for inset doors on beaded face frames?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaythornley

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I'm making some cabinets for my campervan and i'm a bit stuck on what hinges to use.

I'm going to be making up a face frame out of oak, and routing a bead around the openings, and using inset doors.

I'm a bit worried that standard butt hinges, or any hinge that attaches to the edge of the face frame will not work or will look bad because of the bead.

I know some people use a packing piece to pack off the inside of the carcass so that normal kitchen hinges can be used. but i feel that to look good i'd want to make these full height, and i'm trying to keep weight to an absolute minimum as i'm going to be driving this around for ever!

I've seen that Blum do an 18mm mounting plate to pack off kitchen hinges. However my face frame is going to overhang my carcasses by 12mm, so i'm not sure these will work.

I've also seen a similar mounting plate that attaches to the back of the face frame, rather than the side of the carcass. However all the ones of this type that i've seen so far need a mimimum overhang on the frame of 14mm to attach to, and as i mentioned, i'm going to have 12mm.

Does anyone out there with more experience than me (most of you!) have any better suggestions, or any opinions on the ones i've mentioned? Being for the campervan, the cabinets are going to be quite small, i'm going to want to open the doors as wide as possible, and weight is a bit of an issue. hmmm......

I'd rather brass butt hinges. You could use piano hinge.

Or for something completely different ... no hinges at all (except on the bed/seat)
van-int 10.jpg

Attachments

• van-int 10.jpg
    van-int 10.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 156
If you choose the bead size to be the same radius as the hinge knuckle, then the whole butt hinge can be recessed into the face frame and surface mounted on the door stile.

Hi jay, i use flush hinges and fit to the door first so the flat side screws to the bead as long as the hinge is the same depth as the bead. I have always fitted hinges this way and did not know it was the reverse way around until now and i have been making furniture for a living for 25 years.

Back