Best for Smoothing a Burr?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calpol

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the title, I've got some burrs to smooth :D

What's the best overall for mid sized surfaces? The likes of a no.80, 112, maybe a wee un', good old sandpaper (hope not)... So many options :twisted:

Surprised you have had no responses. I have only had experience of smoothing burr veneers but it is the same in principle. In my experience there is no better tool for the job than a scraper plane.

As to which one, I would say use whatever you have. A 112 would be fine if you have been able to get along with it. My LN 112 has sat in the cupboard unused for some years but I am sure it is only my lack of persistence. In the meantime, I have got used to using my Australian nt Gordon smoother which is at 60 deg anyway, but by reversing the blade it becomes a 90 deg scraper plane. This works well and, having a somewhat narrower blade than the 112 is easier to push.

What are you making with your burrs?

Jim

I would love to know what percentage of 112s sit unloved in the cupboard?

They are great tools and not difficult to set up. Just use exactly the same parameters as for the Stanley 80.

Current models of the 80 are a disgrace with virtually unusable blades. A Hock blade improves things no end. (Soles of new ones need flattening).

I managed with the 80 for many years but a 112 is a much nicer tool.

I suggest slight camber on blade, polish at 45 degrees, turn hook from 45 to 75 degrees, very gently, no need for large hook and set at approximately 20 degrees forward which is the 80 angle.

A sharp scraper plane has a cutting edge and takes type 2 shavings. This should work better on burr veneer.
Gordon planes at 90 degrees are pure scraping action, type 3 shavings.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

I don't have any scraping planes yet, set of card scrapers but the first time I tried a burr at college it ended up very uneven. I was hoping a no.80 would be recommended as they're much cheaper so might go down that route first off and see where to go after that... I certainly plan lots of burr veneering so a 112 would easily pay for itself :D

Thanks very much Jim & David C (got the dvd about sharpening scrapers already so I'll have another good look :wink:)

Calpol":36qflw3f said:
I don't have any scraping planes yet, set of card scrapers but the first time I tried a burr at college it ended up very uneven. I was hoping a no.80 would be recommended as they're much cheaper so might go down that route first off and see where to go after that... I certainly plan lots of burr veneering so a 112 would easily pay for itself :D

Thanks very much Jim & David C (got the dvd about sharpening scrapers already so I'll have another good look :wink:)
I'd recommend the Veritas No80 rather than the original which is ghastly...I've owned two and couldn't get on with them. Veritas have re-jigged their No80 so it's a far more pleasant tool to use - Rob

I wouldn't be put off the Stanley 80 too soon they are not that bad, or that different, and they are cheap. Just put a bit of time in getting used to it. Plenty of others have over the years.
In any case it's only when you have got to grips with a tool that you can appreciate the benefits (if any) of going for an upmarket alternative.

I have and use a black Stanley 80 from the 70's. It is a great tool. I use scraper on most of my work. At college we had to pay for abrasives. A scraper cut for free. I have not got out of the habit. Burned thumbs led to the purchased of the 8o. I made a wood body scraper plane as a kid in 65. It was taken from a plan in the Woodworker. My Dad may have it decorating his window sill.

Stanley (& record, marples etc) big problem is the lose/lose situation; if the tool doesn't work too well - blame the tool, if it does work - give yourself the credit for succeeding against the odds!
It's not fair really.
One benefit however is that they are dirt cheap on ebay. Stanley 80 or Stanley 78 (excellent tool highly underrated) can be got for less than £20

David C":3bueycnd said:
I managed with the 80 for many years but a 112 is a much nicer tool.

Have you tried the Veritas update? I've yet to see anyone rate it other than a massive improvement on the original.

I've got a Record #80, and whilst it can be made to work, it's not great.

I think it's quite significant that I've very rarely seen a well-worn #80...

To the OP - if your burr is uneven, and need planing flat (as opposed to smoothing) I would suggest a toothed blade, in either BU or BD configuration.

BugBear

HI Calpol

Tried my Galoot plane on some burr I received this morning:

DSC_0138.JPG

Didn't go too far but seemed to cut it well without much tearout....certainly nothing a good scraper wouldn't finish!

Cheers mate

Jim

Back