Best Dust/Chip extractors for small workshop - Advice Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Terry, your extraction seems spot on- that link you gave too- Duct store- I will will order all my bits off them- Actually I think they seem cheaper for everything I need- going back in workshop now to do a final measure up - then put order in today or Monday - thanks again mate.

Hi all,
I know its been quite a while - but I eventually got my air filtration dust extraction set up. I thought I would at least post a few pics as you have all been very helpful on this forum and thanks to you I have a "decent" set up. Of course, we know its not perfect- but for my finances and what I could manage space wise it works very well . I have a Jet AFS 500 not pictured-. Thanks again All! :)

412755281.jpg

412755278.jpg

412755280.jpg

Thank you for the pictures. Could you explain the purpose of the metal duct. On the face of it the three sharp 90 degree bends and the loop into the fan are likely to cause a significant loss of air flow. So why not just run straight duct at a lower level?

PAC1":3mszpjex said:
Thank you for the pictures. Could you explain the purpose of the metal duct. On the face of it the three sharp 90 degree bends and the loop into the fan are likely to cause a significant loss of air flow. So why not just run straight duct at a lower level?

Pac1- I definitely understand where you are coming from - I thought about this before I set it up- done a quick test too -Using just the 4" hose - also the set up with the metal duct but without the bends ( just parallel 6" off the floor) - and obviously tested it now all set up, and to be honest- to my surprise there is no difference- I suspect it's because the short length of the metal duct ( only 6 foot) I think if I had doubled the length there may have been a reduction in the suction though.

Im thinking about doing a similar set up to the one above with the big dust deputy

Im wondering where i can buy an extractor of the same style. All the extractor only units i can find are only 1hp.

Anyone know where to get a more powerful unit?

Alexfn":pkscuez0 said:
Im thinking about doing a similar set up to the one above with the big dust deputy

Im wondering where i can buy an extractor of the same style. All the extractor only units i can find are only 1hp.

Anyone know where to get a more powerful unit?
Axminster FMBC is 2hp, and SIP do a 2 and 3 hp model. Best bet is to look on eBay - anything 1.5kw or over

Hi all,

There's some great information here, on a confusing subject! I've nearly finished building my 6x5m workshop, so trying to plan the extraction system. My question regards the choice between HPLV and LPHV systems, as like most here (I suspect), budget and space dictate that I choose one or the other and make the best of it.

I am currently leaning towards a wall mounted HPLV extractor, e.g. Record DX5000 or Numatic WMD750, both of which apparently filter down to 0.5 micron. As I understand it, the main drawback to these systems is the way they cope with large chips, particularly those from a planer thicknesser. If this becomes a problem, I could easily add a separator attached to a dustbin at a later date.

The alternative would be a LPHV with a fine filter such as Axminster CT-90HB, but then it seems I would still need a small canister type vac for hand held power tools, to avoid reducing the air flow with a 32mm adaptor. Also I gather that the bore of the pipe is more critical in these systems, so 100mm may not cut it. So by the time I've bought the extra vac plus 125-150mm ducting, the system works out a fair bit more expensive for similar capabilities.

Are there other payoffs here that I'm not picking up? If it helps, the machines in use will be:

Planer/thicknesser
Table saw
Band saw
Router table
Drum sander
Spindle sander
Random orbital sander
Detail sander
Hand-held routers

Many thanks.

Jona":1kx77u3a said:
Hi all,

There's some great information here, on a confusing subject! I've nearly finished building my 6x5m workshop, so trying to plan the extraction system. My question regards the choice between HPLV and LPHV systems, as like most here (I suspect), budget and space dictate that I choose one or the other and make the best of it.

I am currently leaning towards a wall mounted HPLV extractor, e.g. Record DX5000 or Numatic WMD750, both of which apparently filter down to 0.5 micron. As I understand it, the main drawback to these systems is the way they cope with large chips, particularly those from a planer thicknesser. If this becomes a problem, I could easily add a separator attached to a dustbin at a later date.

The alternative would be a LPHV with a fine filter such as Axminster CT-90HB, but then it seems I would still need a small canister type vac for hand held power tools, to avoid reducing the air flow with a 32mm adaptor. Also I gather that the bore of the pipe is more critical in these systems, so 100mm may not cut it. So by the time I've bought the extra vac plus 125-150mm ducting, the system works out a fair bit more expensive for similar capabilities.

Are there other payoffs here that I'm not picking up? If it helps, the machines in use will be:

Planer/thicknesser
Table saw
Band saw
Router table
Drum sander
Spindle sander
Random orbital sander
Detail sander
Hand-held routers

Many thanks.

Hi Jona

I have a DX5000 in my single garage and it works well with a plumbed in 63mm piped system to similar equipment to what you have as well. For the p/t I connect directly to it and have not had any problems clearing the chips on a 10" cut but I would not try to run it at too long a distance from the extractor.

I will be moving to a HVLP system in my new workshop mainly for the table saw, P/T and lathe venting into a lean to shed but will also have a smaller mobile HPLV system for sanding. I like the DX5000 and it served me well - I was about to put it up for sale if you are interested (I am in Watford).

Either way, you would be welcome to come round for a general chat and see my setup if you like.

I would suggest LPHV for the P/T, Tablesaw and drum sander and a power tool vac for all the power tools
The reality is HPLV struggles with the P/T and LPHV will not reduce to suck through 32mm pipe

This question is asked over and over again, its not rocket science, but we as humans will try to get away with the least we can and end up compromising on what we really need.

HVLP will extract chips and large particles from a PT and other machines that do not produce dust.

LPHV will extract dust from those machines that produce it.

Neither will do the others job, don't just go by the manufacturers specification for the extract value for your machine, you need to completely overwhelm it to get efficient extraction, especially from a PT.

I have a 2400watt Numatic which will not cope with large chips, but is magic on sanders, MDF dust and floor cleaning.

My 2000M3/hr extractor clears my PT without any trouble at all.

Face the truth for the equipment you have, you need both.

Mike

Thanks for the offer to come and see your setup Gareth, unfortunately I now live in Ipswich so Watford is a bit too far! I'll have to update my profile.

I appreciate that having both systems is ideal, but having full size/power versions of both is not going to be practical in my situation. I do have a cheap but effective Parkside (Lidl) wet & dry vac which served me well in my old shed, so perhaps I could keep that for power tools and install a ducted HVLP system for everything else, as Pac suggests.

Alternatively, are there compact HVLP units available which could be dedicated to extracting chips from the P/T? Just a thought that occurs to me as I type...

Thanks all for the advice.

What does the manufacturer of your PT recommend? whatever it is multiply it by at least 1.5 and go from there, they always put a lower figure in than what is needed with heavy large chips.

Mike

Jona":24n6i831 said:
Thanks for the offer to come and see your setup Gareth, unfortunately I now live in Ipswich so Watford is a bit too far! I'll have to update my profile.

I appreciate that having both systems is ideal, but having full size/power versions of both is not going to be practical in my situation. I do have a cheap but effective Parkside (Lidl) wet & dry vac which served me well in my old shed, so perhaps I could keep that for power tools and install a ducted HVLP system for everything else, as Pac suggests.

Alternatively, are there compact HVLP units available which could be dedicated to extracting chips from the P/T? Just a thought that occurs to me as I type...

Thanks all for the advice.

Shame, looking forward for an excuse for a cuppa and a chat. I used to support Ipswich as a young lad.

Jona
As you are building a new shed can you either put the extractor outside or build a dedicated housing for the extractor and vent to the outside. you can then use a lower spec filter as you will not be breathing the exhaust air and fine dust. The advantage is a larger volume cfm and how clean the air is. The downside is you need to plan work sessions as you do not want to spend 6 hours warming the shed up and then switch on an extractor that creates 18 air changes per hour when it is cold outside. With ducting keep it as large as possible for as long as possible and as straight as possible. Bends and reductions reduce the airflow.

I'll be ordering machines once the workshop is ready; it currently lacks a door and windows! The front runner for P/T is a Jet JPT260, which has a quoted requirement of 1000 m^3/Hr, the same as the Axi CT-50RCK. Mike, if these two were permanently paired by a short hose, would you still expect problems?

Just to clarify, am I right in thinking that the planer thicknesser is the only one of the machines which would definitely be better served by a HVLP system? Or would you include the table saw, router table, or others? I'm basing this all on chip size.

Sorry if I'm raking over old ground here, I'm learning a lot.

PAC1":27kuozpd said:
Jona
As you are building a new shed can you either put the extractor outside or build a dedicated housing for the extractor and vent to the outside. you can then use a lower spec filter as you will not be breathing the exhaust air and fine dust. The advantage is a larger volume cfm and how clean the air is. The downside is you need to plan work sessions as you do not want to spend 6 hours warming the shed up and then switch on an extractor that creates 18 air changes per hour when it is cold outside. With ducting keep it as large as possible for as long as possible and as straight as possible. Bends and reductions reduce the airflow.

It's a bit far along to be making major mods now; it's a SIP construction with timber cladding which I've already added. I suppose I could vent to the outside without too much trouble, with the exhaust going into the 50mm void behind the cladding. I would be concerned about the effect of rapid temperature changes on relative humidity, this seems like it may affect the timber? I'm a luthier so minor movement can cause big problems...

MikeJhn":1tzoqysy said:
Jona":1tzoqysy said:
I'll be ordering machines once the workshop is ready; it currently lacks a door and windows! The front runner for P/T is a Jet JPT260, which has a quoted requirement of 1000 m^3/Hr, the same as the Axi CT-50RCK. Mike, if these two were permanently paired by a short hose, would you still expect problems?

Just to clarify, am I right in thinking that the planer thicknesser is the only one of the machines which would definitely be better served by a HVLP system? Or would you include the table saw, router table, or others? I'm basing this all on chip size.

Sorry if I'm raking over old ground here, I'm learning a lot.

The JPT 260 has a requirement for a MINIMUM of 1000m3/hr, Overwhelm the requirement, not just meet it then you can use it for everything mentioned above, I use one of these: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... eal-717658 if you do not have a requirement to machine MDF you may not need the fine filter, but the 2000M3/hr is I think a necessity, its fitted to all the above as and when needed with 100mm flexible, the second outlet is gate closed and not used very often, as I work by myself I can only use one machine at a time, should try harder I know. :lol:

Mike

Back