Best Band saw blade for cutting blanks for turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kendle99

Established Member
Reaction score
Got a 1hp Axminster band saw and I'm looking to purchase a new blade , mostly to cut bowl blanks etc ( green as well as seasoned woods ) . Any recommendations ?

Nails - yes
1606463463154.png
1606463463154.png

Did everyone suddenly order blades? The website for Tuffsaws is temporarily closed due to a high demand, how odd!

If cutting round blanks, a 3/8" wide blade (or 1/2" at a push) would help with cutting round bowl blanks etc. The experts suggest you adjust the number of teeth on the blade to the thickness of wood you are cutting and aim for three teeth in contact so for anything thicker than 1" a 3 or 4 tpi skip tooth blade is probably where you want to be. I have also used the M42 blades in the past and agree they are worth the extra expense. With a normal blade, if you hit a nail the blade is kaput but with M42, it will cut through with minimal loss of sharpness and will still be usable, probably for a considerable time!

I have a 7" square baulk of Douglas Fir I ought to convert to workbench legs (or summat) so a call to Tuffsaws is on the list.

John

Whilst is best to have the correct blade for the intended job you can get away without having to change the blade if you take it slowly. This is a 12" (300mm) cut with a 6 TPI blade.

Logs for Ball 04.jpg

Again to illustrate the wrong blade, this afternoon I was cutting up a 4" post, the maximum my little Scheppach bandsaw will take, with a 6 TPI blade & the wood was moving so slowly that it was only noticeable by looking at the end of the wood as it moved over the table - but still quicker than doing it by hand.

Like the others mentioned a 3/8'' 3tpi is a good all round blade. You dont really have to make round blanks either just knock off the corners. I probably do more blanks with the chainsaw than the bandsaw anyhow. A couple of times cutting green wood (on the bandsaw ) I have ended up with the blade, the guides and tyres all gunked up with the sap. It dries hard and a real chore to clean off.
Regards
John

Finally got my replacement on/off switch fitted to my Axminster 1hp bandsaw . Thanks to everyone who chipped in with helpful info 😀👍. Finding an electrician ( other than domestic etc ) , proved very difficult, especially in the present climate .

Back