Bespoke bedroom furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dddd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey,

After making several disturbing trips to the various out of town furniture outlets available these days I am somewhat stunned not only by the incredibly poor construction of bedroom furniture but also the unbelievable prices they are asking people to pay for this tat.
Ok rant over, here's my question, a friend and I are both "doing" up our houses and are both looking for bedroom furniture, basically we are looking for:
1 x triple wardrobe
2 X double wardrobe
1 x single wardrobe
2 x bedside tables
2 x chest of drawers
1 x dressing table

Ideally I would love to build these myself but skill and available time prevents this, so I was wondering if anyone can either recommend some place that is selling reasonably priced stuff or if they know of anyone who can make these items. While I don't mind paying for quality I'm also not a rich man so the price would have to be right as, we're not looking for show quality either just something nice as it were.
Or am I just asking too much and should return head in hands to MFI or it's like.

It's hard to say what you should do without knowing what you want - in terms of materials etc. ie solid wood/veneer, vinyl wapped/mdf

In any event, I doubt you will get a "bespoke" fitment cheaper than MFI et al.

Cheers

Karl

Sorry no, I'm not looking for something cheaper than MFI, just something better made, as i say I don't mind paying for something that isn't going to fall to bits in minutes. As for materials probably a hardwood vaneer of some kind, although am open to suggestions.

If you were nearer I'd make you a kit that you'd just have to put together and varnish/oil/paint.

Hi dddd

Well it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question really. A wardrobe can be anything from a basic box with doors on to
one which is finely fitted out with drawers, shoe racks, shelves etc. Does it just sit on the floor or is there a proper plinth? These kinds of details can easily double the price.

What sort of finish? What sort of materials? What sort of internal hardware? It's hard to say without this sort of info.

FWIW I once made a 5x wardrobe which filled the wall of a room. One was all shelves, two were a double hanging, two were long hanging plus shoe pull-out storage. All on a single adjustable base and all with a nice cornice. All oak-flavoured MDF and solid oak base and cornice. 4K. I have a similar one in my own bedroom with inlaid doors in maple and kevasingo.

I also made one which was 4 units wide, breakfront with curved doors, cornice and base. 6K and I should have charges double, it was a nightmare. Clients were delighted, I wasn't.

Bespoke anything is likely to be better made and considerably more expensive than the sheds, but you already know that. It depends on whether you can stomach the difference. If you can, I'll make you what you want. Nottingham and Leeds aren't that far apart, just let me get my windows out of the way first!

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":1x8l9llf said:
Well it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question really.

Agreed

Only thing i'll add is that, actually, MFI stuff isn't as bad as you think. If it's put together right, it certainly won't fall apart.

Hi dddd,

Like quite a few others on the forum, I make my living from doing exactly this kind of work.

Prices depends on many factors, but from my understanding of your requirements ball-park figures would be as follows;

1 x triple wardrobe £1000 - £1600
2 X double wardrobe £600 - £1000 (x2)
1 x single wardrobe £400 - £750
2 x bedside tables £150 - £250 (x2)
2 x chest of drawers £400 - £800 (x2)
1 x dressing table £500 - £1000

Here are a few photos of similar jobs I have completed recently.

If you want to discuss your requirements please PM me

Img_0416.jpg

Img_0402.jpg

Img_0165.jpg

Img_0163.jpg

Cheers
Dan

Edit - message to moderator

It has just struck me that this post may be contravening forum rules - I'm not sure. I was only trying to answer a question but if I've overstepped the mark please accept my apologies and delete it.

Latest posts

Back