Benchtop table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for a compact bench top saw. I have tried to follow the pros and cons of all the different saw. I am now just confused.
After using the festool rail system for a while which i think is great i am just getting frustrated with cutting smaller pieces of timber neatly and identically. I am about to start a loft renovation with fitted cupboards etc and fancy buying a saw. I do not want a cast iron beast (due to lack of floor space) but i don,t want a Nu-tool special and have to buy another saw again. I have a okish bandsaw but for larger projects its a pain to clean up the cuts all the time. A site saw is to big.
I want the fence to be accurate for smaller cabinet type work. As i intend to make lots of drawers etc i would like a better system than my festool.
is this an idea (below) or a donkey i liked the sliding cut idea but i am worried about age (spare parts)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

I am in no rush and i think my budget is about £300/375 ish. So i am looking out for deal or package offer etc
Basically i am open to suggestions but

not sure what to sugest but IMHO 300-400 new saw would be supplied with only a moderate rip fence if u wnat a decent acurate rip fence i think you would be looking above 500 if its new

i am sure someone will be along soon to give u a decent answer

shaun

I remember them, Elu's answer to the Mafell Erika. They were quite procey when they appeared in the mid to late 1980s. Didn't make it into the "yellowjacket" deWalt range, though, like a lot of Elu products.Think they were liside at about the £700 mark when the killed them in the mid 1990s. Doesn't the Festool Basis system wotk that way, too, or do I have it wrong?

Scrit

Scrit":2ib3a2dr said:
Doesn't the Festool Basis system wotk that way, too, or do I have it wrong?

It's the CS70 and CS50 rather than the Basis

surely if you have the festo, then it makes sense to add their
table which converts it into a table saw, and allows from what i have
seen in jaycee tools, a good sliding table, and good accuracy.

i know it is pricey, but so is a decent fence on a table saw.

to some extent, unless you can get a saw with a decent fence
you are better off using one of the adaptations like triton, or
festo.

it is much better to do the job you want to have something you
can use in the site location because it is a pain to move from room
to room and up and down stairs for every cut.

the other thought is a mitre saw, and a good second fence on that with
stops for detail cuts.

my 2d anyway

paul :wink:

I know what you are saying, but i like the idea of keeping the festool for the big sheet cuts an having a seperate saw for smaller work. I don't do this for a living i just fancy a new toy.
I have a good mitre saw that has good capacity (hitachi c10fsh) but it is great for cutting to length but i can't rip on it. My bandsaw is usefull but i dont't want to clean the cuts up all the time.
I quite fancy the c70 thing but i only just got the SCMS. I have a very limited footprint at my work to store my stuff.I wish i had thought a bit more i could have justified the price by not buying the mitre saw and killing two birds etc.
Anything too big is a no as i pack everything away to a small space all the time. Plus dust collection is am major pain every night even with a shop vac i spend 1/2 hour every night cleaning dust to avois annoying other people whom share lockup. , so i was keeping an eye out for end of lines/ ebay specials.
The festool thing is tempting as i have a lot of work to do on my house could right if off to tax. :roll:
As i spending lot of time on projects i want to try make the right purchase i hat e buying twice..

I have a pull-saw and the concept is fantastic - here, you are getting pretty much two tools in one by a (once) very respectable manufacturer. I think given your stated needs and priorities it would be a good buy if you can get it for somewhere near asking. I wouldn't take too much notice of what he says he bought it for, which sounds exaggerated and if not, a bad deal in the first place.

Latest posts

Back