Benchtop Bandsaws - Any Good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR147

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been having a bit of a rethink of what tools I have in my small (8 foot by 8 foot) workshop and recently I keep coming across situations where a bandsaw would make life far easier and produce better results than using a jigsaw instead. As the workshop is small I've been looking at a benchtop bandsaw as a good compromise between function and space, so I wanted to get people's thoughts on whether a half decent benchtop bandsaw such as the Record Power BS250 is worth the investment or not? I think the general rule of thumb with bandsaws is to get a big a capacity one as possible (as well as looking at decent 2nd hand industrial models), but space is just too limited for anything bigger.

Appreciate any thoughts or experience from owners of benchtop bandsaws.

Cheers

Jon

It really depends what you want it to do. If you want to resaw logs or cut 12 inch veneer 1/8th thick then a bench mounted bandsaw is not for you. But if you intend to use it for lighter work, curves, tenons cutting say unto 75mm stock then a bench mounted bandsaw can be souped up to perform.

I would say yes to a bandsaw if you can fit one in. I have no experience of the one you quote but even though I have the much larger Record BS350, I also have a smaller bench top Tyme machine (inherited) which is brilliant, especially for smaller work.
I do have a jigsaw, but I seriously can't remember the last time I used it - so that probably gives some idea of the value of a bandsaw.
Hope that helps.

Great, thanks both. It would be for lighter work rather than heavy duty stuff so sounds like the smaller benchtop models are definitely worth considering. Conveniently I'm working in Twickenham later this week so might just have to pop along to D&M for a little nosy...

PAC1 - When you say souped up, what do you mean?

If you needed bigger capacity then consider mounting the bandsaw on a moveable base on castors. You can then move it into the centre of the workshop for cutting and store it away in a corner when out of use. It also frees up bench space.

I made a box about 600x600x600mm out of 18mm plywood with a piece of kitchen worktop to mount the bandsaw on. It was very stable with locking castors and gave me plenty of storage for bandsaw blades, fences and jigs etc

Regards Keith

Thanks Keith, that's a good idea. I've started to put castors on some equipment to help me make the most of the space. Another unit underneath would also provide some much needed storage space as well.

Back