Bench. Small is beautiful

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only use wooden bench stops/dogs. Usefull if planing something thin and you accidentally plane the stop its not a problem, Do that with a metal dog or planing stop and you start a whole new grinding/sharpening chapter
There's a good reason why I have an extra dog made out of wood. When required I replace the metal dog with the wooden one it's good for thin stuff. The truth is it's probably the case that I used to have a wooden dog. I haven't seen it for a while and I suspect it's lost and I need to knock up a replacement. Slainte.

I'd never thought of it before but a square stop is much useful than a round dog.
I'll not argue with that, especially for the tasks you describe. I'm sure round bench dogs, as opposed to bench stops, have particular beneficial uses although I can't describe them because I can't remember ever having worked with round bench dogs so I've never had the chance to explore options for them. Slainte.

I'll not argue with that, especially for the tasks you describe. I'm sure round bench dogs, as opposed to bench stops, have particular beneficial uses although I can't describe them because I can't remember ever having worked with round bench dogs so I've never had the chance to explore options for them. Slainte.
I was thinking of the MFT torsion boxes of a thousand dogs - they seem to be round!
Square dogs better, big square dogs even better!

Did somebody mention sharpening?
https://www.theguardian.com/science...are-neolithic-polishing-stone-found-in-dorset
Spooky!
My own axe polissoir is dished and hollowed similarly. 🤔
Didn't find it in a field I found it in Woolworth's, but it was a very long time ago!
Just an old Norton double sided stone - using the coarse side.
I guess the action would be very similar then, as now. Hold the end of the handle pivoting in one hand and swing the head in the other at about 15º, then change hands for the other side.

Last edited:
Got rid of my enormous double bench

View attachment 162506

Very pleased with small replacement:

View attachment 162505

View attachment 162503

What I've realised somewhat late in the day is that I never needed such a whopper, but it seemed a good idea at the time nearly 40 years ago
What I really needed was a small bench and a table for the rammel. They are both small enough to move about if necessary and the table can be folded and put away. Suddenly got much more space!
Oh well, better late than never!
The chap who took the big one away has crammed it into a small garage. I might have to drop him a hint that he doesn't need it - keep the vice use bench for firewood - or he may take 40 years to work it out for himself.

View attachment 162504
So replaced humongous bench with small benches. Hmmm

We all fulfil our particular needs . One bench doesn't fit all.

If you argue that you don't need a long bench as it will only get cluttered, surely the same reasoning should apply to the tool well?
Personally I find tool wells a bloody nuisance.
Tool well de-clutters the work surface. Pencils, squares, chisels, saws, shavings, etc. Also helps keep the bench flat as you only have to match the front beam and the back apron rather than plane a whole table and become a flatness obsessive.

here's a bench that definitely conforms to Jacobs non flat earth society( courtesy quarry bank mill)

Attachments

• 20230714_130554.jpg
    20230714_130554.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I would argue the opposite - it gives you somewhere to put clutter otherwise you'd have to clear it away.
A tool well also goes a long way to preventing tools getting swept to the floor which I've witnessed more than a few times, with occasional significant consequences, when people work on completely flat benches, i.e., benches lacking a tool well.

You might argue that the worker should take more care, and you're probably right, but sometimes under the pressure of work deadlines people can become careless.

There's no right or wrong regarding tool wells I suppose, but my preference is to have a tool well. That's because some of my employers provided benches without a well and I've almost knocked a few tools on to the floor, but it's never happened to me on a bench with a tool well. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back