Bench saws Axi 200 or Scheppach 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byyt

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to chose between these two bench saws. My pressing need is to turn a large amount of recycled boards into straight edged boards to floor a number of rooms in a house. My priorities are obviously accuracy to ensure everything fits together when laid out.

I forget the thought process but I have narrowed it down to the Axi 200, although I would prefer a 250 (out of stock) with all the extensions which comes in sub £500 or the Scheppach 2010 with tables which I can buy new for £550.

Will either/both do the job I need. Is there something that will do it better, sub £55

What length are the boards you intend to use? I thought the Scheppach had been discontinued? The axi TS200 will need an out feed table to the rear being built by you or use roller stands etc.

How about something like a track/plunge saw and a few saw horses?

Hi Carl. The boards are a max of 1.5m. Width ranges from 10-25cms. Maybe the only new Scheppach left? I thought bought a track saw but I want something that i can use for a variety of projects. Having said that, most will involve creating straight cuts...

byyt":1gj1zquz said:
although I would prefer a 250 (out of stock)
They currently showing as 'in stock' now. I've been watching the pillar drills that have similarly been out of stock for a long time too, but that changed today. I'd guess they've just had a delivery of all their new hobby series machines at the end of last week.

With the Axi at £500 and the shepach at £550 asking us to find a suitable alternative for £55 seems a little harsh. :)

Rhossydd":17kqt7c8 said:
byyt":17kqt7c8 said:
although I would prefer a 250 (out of stock)
They currently showing as 'in stock' now. I've been watching the pillar drills that have similarly been out of stock for a long time too, but that changed today. I'd guess they've just had a delivery of all their new hobby series machines at the end of last week.
Yes i was just coming on to update the thread. Both the full kit and just the saw are now showing as in stock. :)

Surely if your need is to turn non straight boards into straight edge boards you would be better off using a planer/thicknesser than a table saw?

The boards vary in thickness from so I am using a thicknesser for that. The boards vary in width and straightness hence I thought I should trim them to 2-3 set widths to make laying easier. some of the boards are also far from straight hence my reservations in putting them through the thicknesser before straightening them. Maybe I'm over thinking this one.

byyt":p5t07c8r said:
The boards vary in thickness from so I am using a thicknesser for that. The boards vary in width and straightness hence I thought I should trim them to 2-3 set widths to make laying easier. some of the boards are also far from straight hence my reservations in putting them through the thicknesser before straightening them. Maybe I'm over thinking this one.
If you put a warped/ twisted/ bowed board through a thicknesser, all you will get out the other side is the same but thinner and smoother. ;)

To get flat and straight boards you need to plane them first. Whether that is with a hand plane or a planer / thicnesser / jointer is up to you. :)

Also if there is a bow in the length of the board, if you send it through a table saw it will probably just be the same but narrower after. What you can do is pin a straight edge to the timber, run the straight edge along the fence of the TS and that will give you the straight cut you need.

Thanks Carl. My thinking was to put all the boards through my thicknesser first then saw them to the right width. I have been thinking however that maybe it should be the other way round due only planing the actual surface area. Like I said, I maybe over thinking this one.

I would plane an edge, and a face. Then cut to width and thickness the other side. Finally thickness down to the finished width.

I would get a production line going so that you plane the edges on everything before doing the next phase. It will save setting and resetting machines. I know that my way means planing unnecessary timber that you later cut off- you may want to cut to near width first. It would depend how good or bad the timber is. It would be handy to have a set of spare blades so you are not stood whilst they are away for sharpening.

Are you planning on tongue and grooving them?

Yes that makes sense to me. I hadn't intended to tongue and groove them. I was toying with biscuit jointing them or just screwing them into the floor grid, unless this is a bad idea?

The trouble is that the floor will need to move. Biscuits will leave gaps and screwing them down will lead to all sorts of issues- the tongue and grove allows movements without you seeing gaps appearing in between.

Would I need to tongue and groove every board or would 50% do? I am just getting a feel for the job as the area is large approx 90sqm.

byyt":1o8mcl2n said:
Would I need to tongue and groove every board or would 50% do? I am just getting a feel for the job as the area is large approx 90sqm.
Personally i would do every board. No point doing half a job. ;)

I have the TS2010 and it is a china made machine. It's ok for hobby stuff, but the extremely awkward setup and fettling + ali top have made me slowly grow to loathe it, and I would go for an Axi in that price range.

Having said that, it has provided me 5 years of service and perhaps all low price machines have similar issues. I got the sliding table as well so at about £1k all in I feel I could have done much better, which may explain my feelings towards it now.

You can have mine for £100 if you pick up from Italy ;-)

Thanks wcndave. I think the axi is probably a better bet but I am now looking at a Festool plunge saw as an alternative.

I have the ts55 which is excellent. However doing parallel ripping and right angles and repeat cuts are all more fiddly. Cutting boards to length then requires a mitre saw... so I use the two for very different tasks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I pulled the trigger on an Axi TS200 complete kit which I bought as a ex-demonstrator. I have so far, discarded the legs and inserted the machine onto my pallet constructed workbench with wheels. Now I can enjoy our lovely weather!

Back