Bench re-planking...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickds1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have this excellent iron bench that weighs in at about 100++kg - it's 2M long with 3 substantial iron supports (end-middle-end).

It needs replanking and I'm wondering what to do. I can easily do this myself as I've made benches in oak for the National Trust etc., but then someone else was buying the timber. I last did this maybe 25 or so years ago in teak...

I have a PT & table saw etc, so buying rough sawn is not an issue.

Where would folk suggest getting the timber, should it be rough sawn or finished PAR, and most importantly...

WHAT TIMBER TO USE ?

The bench is outside all year as it's way too heavy to move the 50M or so to the nearest cover. Can probably salvage a bit of what's there for other purposes. Planks are just coach-bolted on - I'll need to angle-grind the existing bolts off...

Attachments

• PXL_20230408_103521936.jpg
    PXL_20230408_103521936.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230408_103645253.jpg
    PXL_20230408_103645253.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Based on what I’ve seen of this type of bench and its location I would say oak or iroko. It’s really worth saving so will be worth the cost of the timber and will look good for many years.

Not that I'd suggest iroko for such apt misuse of a seemingly unknown resource,
and the morals and/or ideals which go with it, (I can't find anything about that really, and I've been half assed seeking this info for a long time)

Sipo/utile, afzelia, idigbo or the densest reddest red meranti could be an option either,
or perhaps some of the lesser known very dense timbers like panga panga which might have unsightly mineral deposits on every piece?, (as with iroko can that have seldomly)
or possibly ekki which looks denser again, from seeing some of that for sale, I guess it's available
though not seen it "stand the test of time" nor used in anything whatsoever,

I reckon some googling might come up with results. it looks like it would be up there with the best of them longevity wise, seeing as it's got tighter grain than the densest of iroko examples,
Which if choosing one of the most, if not the most common African timber iroko,
that would noticeable by weight, and your choice if going for the max longevity, might be dependent on the quality of what you can find.

I've got examples of very light, and very heavy bits of reclaimed iroko, and it's no surprise the stuff only half the weight often has some rot,
That ekki for example has the colour to match, colour equaling more toxins, or more chance of getting irritation, which is why I pay attention to that, generally a good sign if looking for something that will last.

Curious and I've gotta question why chestnut is suggested, not having seen anything made of it
before...
Come to think of it, has anyone ever made a study of that which was documented online,
I don't think I recall anything of the sort, and guess if so, perhaps might be a bit dated regarding
the availability of other timbers nowadays?

Just some ponderings, sorry for drifting off subject slightly,
though the question is more fitting for an outdoor environment.

Tom

Last edited:
My local wood recycling place will do beech, oak and other hard woos for a decent price.

Down side is that it is what you see is what you get.

But I did a double seater bench in oak slats for £20.
Had to sand them down and round the edges off, but it was good timber.

Chestnut is quite similar to oak but slightly less dense and weaker about 2/3rds the price . like oak it contains lots of tannins which act as a natural preserver. Sometimes used as cladding due to its durability

Whatever wood is used, I strongly suggest that the seat is moved away from the tree it currently sits under, the tree isn't doing the bench any favours at all by the look of it.
How about one of our Australian (Derek maybe?) send some Jarrah over on a slow boat to use for the bench, or has Inspector got anything he can send from Canadaland?

Canadaland!!!! 😱
Western Red Cedar if you can find old growth heartwood, most of that goes to Japan. Black Locust would fit the bill but it is rare to find anyone cutting it commercially not to mention uncommon even in urban yards. Maybe some of the fibreglass deck boards would be better for your Brittleish climate. 😉

Pete

This talk of wood species from around the world ... jings.

For a job like this in the UK I'd say go for the obvious choice, one that's been the choice for centuries, of European oak, air dried ideally, or possibly chestnut if it's an option that's cheaper. Oak will last for about 25 years or more away from ground contact, and chestnut's durability is similar.

No idea of suppliers in Kent, though. Slainte.

I am leaning towards air-dried oak or iroko. I've made some nice benches for the NT out of air&kiln-dried oak - insanely, the Trust didn't let us use their own oak - we had to buy it in.

The reason that the bench is under that oak is that it's an ideal place to sit and look at the view, which extends some 25 miles or more over the Weald and up to the North Downs. At the end of a hot summer's day, drinking a nice Pimms as the sun slowly sinks, it's just a perfect way to chill...

EDIT: You can see the Lutyens benches at Sissinghurst Castle and the Clem Churchill benches at Chartwell...

Attachments

• IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20190909-WA0003-1536x864.jpeg
    IMG-20190909-WA0003-1536x864.jpeg
    465.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20191209-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20191209-WA0001.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20200120-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20200120-WA0004.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Got my oak eventually. Very pleased. Reasonable price and good quality.

The bench is under the tree in the photo below - the building there is my workshop & office - the path is the daily commute...

First step, dismantle the old bench planking. will need angle grinder to remove old coach bolts. Bench weighs in at about 190kg - three very very solid cast iron sections. Need about 70x40mm coach bolts.

Bench is 6' 6"/2mtrs and the timber is 8' so I can lose any split ends etc. Need to cut to length then bevel top edges of each bit. Three person job assembling and fettling as so heavy and awkward.

Should have enough nice oak left for some decent boxes.

Attachments

• PXL_20230615_121320864.jpg
    PXL_20230615_121320864.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230615_115619704.jpg
    PXL_20230615_115619704.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230615_205521234.jpg
    PXL_20230615_205521234.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back