Bench Hook(s)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rafezetter":jdyd3n5c said:
Still prone to movement

I assume you mean wood movement? ..it's adjustable, so just unscrew it, and make any changes. Or replace if need be.

SMALMALEKI":3pss5c8g said:
Then I used my old school memories to draw accurate angles.
That's exactly what I was about to suggest to you. A 3,4,5 triangle will give a perfect 90° if you draw it with precision.

Draw the lines (the larger the better) on a piece of plywood or MDF using one of the factory edges as the base and you can use the layout to make a very accurate homemade try square in solid wood or ply. This can then be used to ensure the fences on bench hooks or shooting boards are dead square to the working edge.

A 45° can be laid out accurately from scratch in a few ways, possibly the simplest is just to use two sweeps of a compass. If there's no compass available just a stick with a pivot point and a hole for a pencil will do the same job.

Isn't a badger plane almost exactly wrong for shooting ? The need to attach something to lift it to avoid planing the shooting board away, and isn't the skew in the wrong direction so as to tend to lift the workpiece rather than push it down ? Always been puzzled by that choice.

Back