Bench finished up and running

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mr spanton":43s50ta3 said:
Hi Nick :D
The seat blank is a section of recycled ikae worktop (oak) :

Is it easy to get hold of, or was an Ikea kitchen being ripped out? I'm currently hacking at a huge piece of elm, about 2" thick....

finish with the curved drawknives

I started with an arbortech with the professional cutter - difficult to control for accurate cutting, and if you're not careful it runs away with you. A pic of the curved drawknife would be useful..... I purchased a few drawknives on ebay in the USA and brought them back with me last month - loads of sharpening to do now, but no curved ones.

Do you make any chairs? What techniques do you use? Got any good pics of vernaculer chairs I love the welsh and Irish best
Cheers Jonathan :lol:

I've only made the one, on a course with with Mike Abbott, with no power tools at all - pole lathe and shave horse. A good few days. I'm intending to make one with arms next, including bending the wood, but need to find green wood for that. I haven't done any bending on my own, but I have the equipment lined up, just need the timber.

Hi Nick :lol:
Where did you get 2 inch elm from in UK?? :shock:
I only did one seat with elm and that was from a yard at virollet in France. All the others were made fronm recycled joists, BUT I made a seat today from the oak work top. Its been bevelled, adzed, shaved and scraped NO SANDPAPER :lol: :lol: :lol:

Untitled-4-2.jpg

It was a doddle to carve (compared to joist's) but the wood quality is low there are lots of voids and shakes. And it is a bit tricky where the grain runs oposite ways on adjacent pieces of stock. I made a new shaped scraper today as well.The worktops were offcuts from my kitchen refit, but its amazing what you can find at the tip. The sds bit is been polished (well it was pretty well smooth already but I done it on the polishing wheel) to use for turning the edge on the scrapers; and yes my bench isnt level :roll:
Here is a picture of my drawknife's (curved ones) also a scorp for smaller radious's, they come up aprox full size on the screen
Untitled-3-1.jpg

here's a pile of leg blanks
Untitled-5-2.jpg

What's Mr Abbott like up close? :lol: :lol:
Oak has to be the the king of woods!! My boy planted this little acorn 5 or 6 weeks ago
Untitled-7a.jpg

Cheers Jonathan :D

Back