Bench Dogs Very Tight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user22161

Established Member
Reaction score
Benchdogs fence and guide rail dogs arrived this morning, just assembled and find they're virtually a hammer fit, whereas Parf dogs are just a good hand interference fit. Is this usual, anyone else had problems? All holes drilled with Parf Guide so should be correct sizes.

I used the UJK Parf Guide Mk2 to drill the holes in my workbench. After applying two coats of hard wax oil, some of the holes were too tight. Apparently there were enough questions about this, so Axminster created the UJK Parf System Reamer. This worked well for my workbench.

Just come off the phone with Ralph at Benchdogs. As soon as I mentioned the problem he said straight away Parf bit is undersized so the holes are not 20mm. Pulled another 20mm bit out my box and sure enough, it wouldn't quite fit the holes. Have now opened them up with it and the Benchdogs fit OK. Wonder how many people have bought the reamer to rectify a faulty product.

I wonder if the Parf guide cutter is deliberately undersized so that the risk of loose dogs is minimised, I found the holes with the guide clamped were very tight but those in the middle where I could not clamp are an easier fit.

The only holes I had problems with were those where I didn't completely wipe away the hard wax oil. Out of 200 holes drilled with the Parf cutter, only five or six were tight. My problem was self-inflicted, not a fault with the Parf cutter.

I also have the Part Mk2 and have 91 holes drilled in a 25mm MRMDF top, I have Benchdogs, quad dogs and the benchdogs fence and have had no issues - I don't know if this means I was lucky or got a better cutter, but not wishing to sound smug it has made me happy and fundamentally helped in my refurb of the workshop and the way I can work with my limited space.

Padster

Yes, that's what I suspected initially until I checked against another bit. I suspect there may be a quality control issue with the cutters in Parf guide kits, occasionally very slightly undersized.

Maybe. Of course, the main reason Axminster launched the reamer, as I understand it was to deal with situations where MFT tops swell or the holes get a bit furry! I have a personal preference for the UJK stuff.

I've used a grand total of 3 different parf bits: the first was just right (but I sold it), the second was too tight (on freshly drilled 18mm MRMDF) and the third (supplied by Axminster to replace the second one) was too big. They did supply me with a free pre-release version of the reamer which made my day as it just made every hole the perfect size - assuming you weren't starting with an oversized hole of course :geek:

I know Peter and Axminster say the reamer is for holes that have swelled or whatever but, given my experience with the cutters, I think it serves another purpose - taking out the wonk in the 3rd party cutters. Just my opinion based on not very much you understand!

Back