Bench Cookies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I own 8 Bench Dog Cookies (those orange coloured ones)

But each time I use them they leave black marks on my work.

Does anyone else get this problem?

I don't remember them doing this initially. I'm wondering if this is something that develops after a period of time. Does anyone have similar experiences?

If this is a brand issue, does anyone have a recommendation for a brand that doesn't leave marks and are grippy?

yes I get exactly the same problem and it was driving me mad so stopped using them, I'm thinking of making my own ones similar just get a piece of wood and stick leather on top and it'll probably be less of a pain.

yes I get exactly the same problem and it was driving me mad so stopped using them, I'm thinking of making my own ones similar just get a piece of wood and stick leather on top and it'll probably be less of a pain.
Interesting. I too was thinking of stripping the rubber off and putting something on myself 👍

They are rubbish at least the Trend ones are, find a random old mouse mat or wetsuit or something and make your own, glue it to a few scraps of plywood or whatever. I made loads because on the ones I had the rubber would move about and come off.

If you wanted to get posh you could buy a sheet of crubber gasket material (cork and rubber).

Ollie

They are rubbish at least the Trend ones are, find a random old mouse mat or wetsuit or something and make your own, glue it to a few scraps of plywood or whatever. I made loads because on the ones I had the rubber would move about and come off.

If you wanted to get posh you could buy a sheet of crubber gasket material (cork and rubber).

Ollie
Cork - interesting....

Part of the usefullness of those is the non slip effect of the neoprene discs
If that's breaking down and you want to replace it / make a diy version, then maybe that soft silicone mat stuff sold as a work surface / peelable surface for small glue ups. A deep brick red colour. That doesn't want to slide and is more durable than neoprene foam.

If it’s just to stop stuff sliding about on the bench, I have used pieces of the non-slip stuff designed to go under rugs. If you need clearance between workpiece and bench then use ply offcuts sandwiched between two pieces of the non-slip matting. Downside is that it eventually loses its grip but it costs very little from places like IKEA

I've ordered some self-adhesive cork sheets.
I have Cork in the jaws of my vice, and it's held up well - so gonna try that first.

I've personally had less favourable results with anti slip mats. My main concern with those is glueing them. I've had some glued to the back of my strop, and it's not held up well...

I bought one of the cheap yoga mats in B&M and cut that up to make non-slip pads for use under templates etc for the router and on top of 1" & 2" mdf disks for lifting things off the bench while painting and to stop the edges sticking while drying. The pad 2 was ~£10

Are bench cookies (bought or homemade) useful?

I’ve not had issues with sliding especially when using a piece of leather on the bench, but always open to new ideas!

was in lidl yesterday and they had some thick non slip matt, maybe A3 size for £2, seemed to be thicker and tougherthan the normal stuff. thought it would perfect for benchdogs, though as per Bristol_Rob I can never quite work out the best method of gluing it, lashing of pva and no clamping (so as not to distort / crush the matting) is my thought

Back