Belt Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

i am int he market for a belt sander. Can anyone recommend one? I have been looking on Axminster and they jump from £80 for this bosch to £160 for this casals

The main reason I want one is to sand my decking as missus is not happy with the 'weathered' look and any liquid based solution hasnt worked.

TIA

not a belt sander but i used my Metabo SXE450 on the decking and it's back to new wood pretty easy (80 grit on rough sand)

What solution did you use on the decking, if it was a cheap DIY store product? then these are rubbish. Try Net-trol Wood Cleaner.

Thanks mate, I have an ROS, but thought a belt sander might do a better job. I'll give it a go with the ROS and see how it goes

I tried Net-Trol and wasn't impressed. It didnt make a shade of difference even when I tried it neat. Bit annoyed really as it's not cheap. They recommend Prep-Deck if it doesnt work, but tbh it's too much of a risk shelling out another £60 and it not work.

what timber did you use it on, out of interest?

I have the Net-Trol stuff for my cedar decking but i haven't used it yet.

it is Balau decking. The people I got it from recommended it for that timber.

Have you tried the drinking-till-you-don't-give-a-fig liquid based solution? :lol:

im experimenting with a kind of LOML liquid based solution...

WiZeR":1mr9pccj said:
I am int he market for a belt sander. Can anyone recommend one? I have been looking on Axminster and they jump from £80 for this bosch to £160 for this casals
The venerable Makita 9401 4in sander is pretty bulletproof. Almost unbreakable and they last - mine is more that 20 yerars old......

Scrit

thats the ones we have here. Don't leave it in the same spot to long or it's start creating grommet holes in your work.

davejester":2e5gjh1r said:
Saturday Morning Swap Shop anybody?
Donning jumper, taking up pen and pulling big block of multi-coloured paper towards me:

Hello? Is that Dave on Line 1?
What are you swapping?
Sorry? Belts? Leather belts? Sanding belts... Furiously jots down details
And what d'you want to swap them for?
Sorry?
A Felder?
Or a Scalextric...

Sorry, Dave, couldn't resist; a memory was jogged. Don't mind me, it's just that Friday feeling :D

Cheers, Alf

Wizer,

I would recommend my Bosch PBS 75, it is impossibly noisy but I have recently sanded about 25 sq meters of solid oak flooring and it did not miss a beat.

When I say I sanded the floor I used the belt sander over the entire floor starting with 24 grit then down through 40, 60, 80 and 120 grit.

If you have not used 24 grit it is an experience, it looks like pebble dash on a roll :lol: Just out of interest I finished off with 120 on my Makita ROS and then a final rub over with some 150. It took some time, but looks a treat :D

Cheers,
John.

Alf":3ddd5412 said:
davejester":3ddd5412 said:
Saturday Morning Swap Shop anybody?
Donning jumper, taking up pen and pulling big block of multi-coloured paper towards me:

Hello? Is that Dave on Line 1?
What are you swapping?
Sorry? Belts? Leather belts? Sanding belts... Furiously jots down details
And what d'you want to swap them for?
Sorry?
A Felder?
Or a Scalextric...

Sorry, Dave, couldn't resist; a memory was jogged. Don't mind me, it's just that Friday feeling :D

Cheers, Alf

=D> :lol: =D> Nice one Alf,
It's taken me five minutes to stop laughing enough to write this!

I have a ferm table saw that i'd like to swap for a scheppach Ts2050 any takers??

Still LMAO
Julian

Latest posts

Back