Belt sander advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am looking at buying a belt sander. I make shelving units to sell and am finding it hard work finishing the shelves off with a random orbital sander. A customer wants a unit with 30metres (in lengths of 1.5m) of shelving for CD's. I figure a belt sander is the machine for the job, dont have space for table mounted. I have about £100 to spend.
I have seen Metabo units at this type of price and Axminster have a Makita for £83.00.

Anybody got any suggestions. Advice on how to use one appreciated as well, eg grit grades to leave a good finish. Plan A is cut and mitre them, belt sand all over then danish oil followed by a light rub down with the orbital jobbie.

Many thanks, Chunko'

I have a makita. They all seem a bit light to me these days having been used to the heavy old Black & Decker when they made decent kit. My advise would be test the adjustment on the belt. There are times you will want to have the belt slightly proud of the sole plate. Start the machine on the material not in mid air. Obviously keep it moving and even pressure. Always watch for the power lead on the back stroke as you do not want to see it disappearing into the housing with the belt so keep it clear. I prefer 4" and buy a graphite roll so you can renew the sole cover from time to time. They get very hot if the graphite is worn.
Would suggest 60 and 120 grit are most used.

Hi Chunko,

My experience with belt sanders is that they can be great tools but ONLY if you have a sanding frame fitted. Without the frame they can be so brutal that any small slip means you may find that the "finish" includes a wavy uneven bit - from the device "digging-in" which can then take hours to remove with a less brutal tool. Unfortunately the frame usually puts the price up - the less expensive models don't usually include them. I would recommend the Bosch GBS75AE (75mm width) but unfortunately it is twice the price of the Makita.

I own two belt sanders, and only one (which was a later acquisition and has a frame) ever gets used.

Simon

Chunko,

Looking at your site and the shelves you show, I wouldn't buy another power tool for these, except perhaps a floor standing belt sander (which is not what you want and they are very expensive).

I recommend a 5 1/2 plane and continuing with your ROS if it is any good. I guarantee that with a little practice, you will be faster and getting better results than a belt sander can produce- as well as being cheaper.

I too found that a random orbit sander seemed to do very little in the stock removal stakes, though I have resurrected an old Elu palm sander for finishing.

My answer was to buy a Makita - the big one - It's twice your budget I'm afraid, but it does the business - and if you're careful, no sanding frame required. It's a worthwhile investment if you can stretch yourself just that little further.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

Chris.

Scrums":2jcgqlx2 said:
I too found that a random orbit sander seemed to do very little in the stock removal stakes, though I have resurrected an old Elu palm sander for finishing.

My answer was to buy a Makita - the big one - It's twice your budget I'm afraid, but it does the business - and if you're careful, no sanding frame required. It's a worthwhile investment if you can stretch yourself just that little further.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

Chris.

Just rub salt in the wounds i bought one of these from B&Q a few months ago for................£75 :D It is an animal though :roll:

I have just seen a ryobi 4" jobbie for £100andabit with a base plate thingy, are Ryobi any good?
Keep up the support,
Chunko'

waterhead37":2spjir2h said:
I recommend a 5 1/2 plane and continuing with your ROS if it is any good. I guarantee that with a little practice, you will be faster and getting better results than a belt sander can produce- as well as being cheaper.

I would second this based on a demonstration I saw at Yandles a couple of weeks ago. A bloke there was demonstrating a Metabo ROS (can't remember which model it was but it had two different actions) and sanded and polished a plank of wood from quite rough to a mirror finish. He started with coarse paper, went through the grades and finished with a polishing mop. The finished result was impressive and quite quick. Can't imagine you could do the same with a belt sander.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Got this one after the Makita died, I'd highly reconmend it, as it is reasonably
priced for a sander of its size, AND it COMES with a sanding FRAME.

The frame is a bit fiddly to fit and remove, but that is in comparison to the FESTOOL sanders.

By and by you gets a fair ol' bang for your buck.

Chunko

I have a B&Q special - performance power pro and it has worked great for 3 years. it came with a sanding frame too and cost around £55

They come with a no quibble 3 year warranty too

Tony":dxmjcti9 said:
Chunko

I have a B&Q special - performance power pro and it has worked great for 3 years. it came with a sanding frame too and cost around £55

Tony, I hope you are not tempting fate by saying you've had it for 3 years and ...3 year warranty :D .

George_N":1wmqci2q said:
Tony":1wmqci2q said:
Chunko

Tony, I hope you are not tempting fate by saying you've had it for 3 years and ...3 year warranty :D .

Quite happy with 3 years use for £55 if i were :wink: :lol:

Reporting back to base.
I eventually stumped up for a Ryobi 4" sander, and it seems to do the job, it looks as though I will need a very quick run over with the orbital as a final finish but it looks as though it will knock ages off the job, 36m of wood to sand on all sides. I just love sanding!!!!!

Thanks for the tip about base plates, it does seem to help keep things on the level as it were.

Cheers guys, Chunko'.

Back