Being honest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make things every know and again and there's usually a cock up along the way

The last thing I made last week was a TV unit to hold all the media stuff (sky, PS3, amp, Media PC)

To keep it cheap I made it out of MDF then painted up as I'm a bit strapped for cash

anyhow my cock up was managing to router a dado in the wrong position and I measured twice (was late in the evening though)

managed to hide it by filling the wrong dado with some scrap MDF

As a not too experienced amateur, I totally agree with you Martin. I have to admit there's times where my cock-ups are so stupendous that whatever tool I have in my hand gets thrown across the shop in a fit of rage :oops: The mistakes are too numerous to list in their entirity, but one of my recent ones (today) was fitting a french cleat on a cabinet the wrong way round then wondering why it wouldn't lock onto the wall cleat :x :x :x :x :oops: There was much splintering of wood before the penny dropped. Needless to say the language was choice :) I agree that reading about the pro's cock-ups (design modifications) makes a mere mortal such as I feel a lot better :D

Half a century of experience, pro and amateur, and I just cut the angles on a skirting board from the wrong side!

Roy.

I recollect and interesting one from Robert Ingham who told a tale once in F&C that he was gluing up a drawer runner framework of some sort and it went together .5mm out...that's half a mm :shock: so he had to completely take it apart, sort it, and re-glue - Rob

woodbloke":fi0958nw said:
I recollect and interesting one from Robert Ingham who told a tale once in F&C that he was gluing up a drawer runner framework of some sort and it went together .5mm out...that's half a mm :shock: so he had to completely take it apart, sort it, and re-glue - Rob

I guess being perfect has it's drawbacks. :roll:

WOW

Thanks guys

Seems i may not be as hand fisted as i first thought then :D
After looking in wonder at the pics you post of your finished work it's good to know mistakes still happen.

Nice to find such a friendly helpful forum, you have certainly made my life easier with advice and want to try different and more challenging projects.

Martin

I think it's good to keep a record of all your 'Design modifications/Rustic effects' as it shows you how much you've improved.

I made some drawers for a friend a few weeks ago. I got a bit annoyed that one of the drawers was 2mm bigger than intended. My wife then commented that when I was first starting out with this woodery lark, an average error was measured in whole cm, not mm!! :lol:

Remember: to err is human. Leave perfekshun to the robots! :D

Bryn :D

I can remember doing a set of drawers with the dovetail jig. I got one board in the wrong side out for one end. :oops:
There was no way it was ever going to be a box shape. :roll:

Back