Being honest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatesmr2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

First thing i'd like to say is a big thanks to everyone for a great forum encouraging undertalented amateurs like myself into better things with good advice and understanding.

Ok so my question :?:
After seeing waterhead37 amazing tool cabinet :shock:
He says how many things went wrong while building etc, for me hearing this is wonderful. (no i'm not a sadist) It's good to see that it's not just me that puffins things up be it a silly not enough attention or simply not enough talent mistakes.
With all the perfect stuff you showcase in this section how many mistakes etc are suffered in the making of said pieces ?

Thanks again

Martin

I don't think there's a piece I've made where there hasn't been some cockup in the process, for me thats the only way we learn.

It doesn't matter how hard you try, inevitably there will always be one/some/loads of cock-ups on any job done in the 'shop...after all we're only human beans and not perfick. The classic one I did recently was on the underside of the Elm Cabinet II when I used the biscuiter the wrong way round :oops: :oops: and put a slot 100mm in from the edge rather than 15mm. Fortunately, it doesn't show as it's covered by the cabinet bearer rails...close one though 8-[ - Rob

Hi Martin,
My last mistake was on something as straight forward as a picture frame - had 2 lengths of wood rebated out, each one long enough for 2 sides of the frame. Was in the process of cutting the mitres, and moved the cut to miss a bit of poor wood. Result? One side was now too short for the picture, so I had to remake another piece.
That mistake was simply down to rushing the job, and not thinking it through.

Believe me, you are not alone :oops:

Malc :D

The last time I was in the workshop I drilled six holes in a board using a spade bit. It had been so long since I used a spade bit, I forgot to turn the board over half way through. Now I've got to find some way to mask all the breakout on the other side :oops: .

Gill

The last time I went into the workshop I made several mistakes, the time before that, several more, in fact on any visit to the workshop that lasts longer than 30 minutes I can pretty much guarantee that I'll make at least 1 mistake

Favourites include:

Cutting 3 tails to fit 3 pins
Parting off a bowl to near the chuck
Not holding a router flat (only a favourite because I do it too often!)

Ahh.....Martin. A common misconception - they're not mistakes, they're "design modifications"....... :wink:
Philly :D

Well thanks guys i feel much better now :D

Nice idea Philly much better way to describe it

My best one so far was cutting the rails (runners for the drawers) of a chest of drawers with a router. Got all carried away as it was going so well and started from the wrong side :oops:
They were meant to stop roughly 30mm so as you never saw them from the front, the way i looked at it was a chance to learn how to add a piece of wood without it being seen lol

Ohh yes it was the last rail as well to add insult to injury

Martin

The first time it happens I call it a learning experience (and I seem to learn several things on each project).

The second time it happens I call it a mistake; and I hate making mistakes because that means I didn't learn from it the first time.

yes that sounds better philly design modification's.
the good thing with steel you can weld it back on if yoou cut to much off.
i have made many mistakes how many have marked something and cut the wrong side of the line #-o

who's better than me?!

Ehmm I guess a lot of people are. I make more things with mistakes than I make things flawless. When a project went with little or no mistake its probably time to start doing more difficult things or try to work more acurate.

I just spent 2 hours doing some bits, and managed not to make a single mistake. But the job should have taken 30mins but I spent all that time making sure it wouldnt go wrong. Its hard been at the bottom!

I tell you what though, Im super glad that certain angles of this work piece will be less visible than others as Its saved me on a few joints that have quite come together etc.

About 20 years ago we had a guided tour of Salisbury Cathedral, and were admiring the medieval wrought iron work that braces the spire internally, and which incidentally was in better condition than some of the Victorian repairs. About half way up there were 2 interlocking braces that were off centre to take into account the internal staircase, so the interlocking joints were not in the middle. On one of these there was a joint cut where there was no interlocking piece, and a few minutes analysis showed that the joint had been formed by measuring in from the wrong end - but the craftsman had just recut a joint from the right end and left the mistake unchanged. Suddenly he became human and I could relate to a real individual! I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he realised his mistake - and perhaps learned the medieval english for "Oh ****!" Nothing has changed.

I don't think I have completed a single project without some sort of major cock up..... hmm maybe I should change hobbies.... :roll: :wink:

Reading this makes me feel sooooo much better!

On most things the missus will make a comment along the lines of 'maybe one day you will make something that hasn't got a mistake in it!'

Nice to have a bit of moral support :) :roll: :lol: :lol:

Let ye who have never sinned cast the first stone. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich, the biggest cockupper ever. :oops:

ME, make a mistake! Almost every other job. :oops: No matter how much I try I can still manage to make one. Usually it is not serious and I can get around it. Having said that I have on a few a occasions had to re-start a project again. I will then put the wood away for another job in the future. Been woodworking for around 20 years now and still make em! we all do. :roll:

Back