Beginner Sketchup Question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjb

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just getting started learning Sketchup ..I've done the basic tutorials on th SU website and it seems pretty straightforward, but when I try to work with my own designs I seem to get stuck quite quickly. One thing I have been trying to do without success is importing my old 2d designs from Corel Draw in .DXF format and turning them into 3d objects in SU. I can import the 2d outlines, but SU doesn't allow me to pull them into 3d objects unless I re-draw the outlines. I'd be grateful for any advice on this and also recommendations as to the best way to learn (quickly) the basics of working in SU.

Thanks,

Richard.

Since your 2D drawings only consist of edges and no faces, there are no faces imported. Of course you need the faces for Push/Pull to work. Tracing over edges is one way to make those faces appear. A faster way is to use a plugin called Make Faces.

I frequently find, when importing DXF or DWG files that some faces still don't fill with the plugin. The reason is the edges aren't closed. If you run into that you'll need to zoom in close and hunt around to find the break. Then either close the gap or better delete the short line and redraw it long enough to close the face. There is also a plugin available for that from Smustard.com

Back