Woodwork design software other than Sketchup ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Nako

Established Member
Reaction score
As I get into more complex (for me !) projects, so I'd like to be able to design them properly and take advantage of cut lists etc.

My background is in software design so I'm very computer literate and generally pick up new packages quickly.

I have a copy of Sketchup 2017 which I've tried on numerous occasions to get to grips with but without success.

So.. is there anything else out there that maybe does a similar job ? I'd much prefer a desktop rather than cloud based app, but actually anything would do.

Addendum.. this would be for PC, not Mac.

Last edited:
Fusion 360 is a good option. It makes more sense to me than Sketchup, which has kind of a unique approach. If you learn Fusion, there is less of a gap when switching to alternative CAD programs.

There's also many great resources about Fusion 360 on Youtube. For woodworking I found the videos from Andy of the Woodgrafter very useful:

With the OpenBOM add-in you can generate cut lists from Fusion 360 as well. This is a paid add-on, but free for hobbyists (you just have to send an email to the maker of the add-in to get the free license).

You can also use Solid Edge community edition for hobbyist. It is a full version of the commercial software. As a former professional Autodesk Inventor user, it is difficult for me to get used to a different workflow, but the software is very competent. I would use Fusion360, buy they now imposed many limitations for non paying customer, e.g. you can have a single drawing sheet, if you want to add another one, then you have to pay. Personally I hate building multiple components into a single file. I like more the one file = one part approach. For me the best would be, if they made Autodesk Inventor version for hobbyist, with e.g. 50 unique part limitation in a single assembly or with watermarking sheets. But I assume that will never happen, unless Autodesk CEO is a member of this forum :)

As above I too was a former professional Autodesk / Autocad / Inventor 3D user but now I use Vectric Aspire for all design work you have to pay for it but it soon starts to pay for itself in the work you can get out, only nothing is free.

I have a copy of Sketchup 2017 which I've tried on numerous occasions to get to grips with but without success.
Sounds like you had the same issues as me, I also worked in software so perhaps it is a mindset. I use Qcad which is only 2D but I don't feel the need for 3D images as to me it is to graphical and not technical if that makes sense.

I used to get on Ok with Autocad but again in the 2D realm and for my current needs it is far to big a program so Qcad fits the bill. Not to hard to pick up and with library components you can save items for use later, I have a library of Infinity router cutter profiles amongst others that I used to make a built up profile by combining cuts. It is precise, so you can draw something and see how things fit together and ensure things like proportions are ok. There is a free download for trial use so worth giving it a go if you only want 2D.

https://www.qcad.org/en/

Fusion 360 is very superior to sketchup (in my experience, some disagree) in several ways and I find it more intuitive in every way.
Many swear by blender but for woodwork I am not sure.
Free cad is popular but I personally don't like it principly because I am used to fusion I think.

Alibre is a good product and you just pay once to own it.
Now they are doing a hobby version of Solidworks and you can get a free version of Siemens solid Edge.
Rhino is another one but it functions differently and a great 3d modelling/ sculpting one is z- brush, they do a free one too.
Try out as many as you can because you might prefer some over others it's personal and depends how your brain works.

Ollie

It may be worth clarifying that while it is possible to produce "Parts List" with Fusion 360 - AFAIK - it does not support "Cut List" mentioned in the original post.
- Parts List - list of parts with dimensions
- Cut List - a diagram which helps to figure out how much lumber is required and how to cut the lumber you have in order to produce required parts in the most optimal way

Sketchup 2017 does support both: Parts List and Cut List
- see @19:34 mark here:

Optimised "cut list" is quite useful with current lumber prices.

There is plugins for fusion that will do a cut list function. I forget the name now.
However you can pretty much just use the component list if you model every part as a component, this is generally a good methodology anyway because it allows parametric adjustments throughout the design process.

Ollie

A shout for Onshape, developed by a bunch of guys that broke away from Solidworks. It’s free for non commercial use, but you can pay for a month or longer when ever you need it commercially. It’s cloud based, so doesn’t need a typical big powerful PC to use it.

Last edited:
As an ex CAD Designer having used AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Siemens NX I now use QCAD and SketchUp for my woodworking projects.

QCAD is a great 2D package but is inefficient when compared to 3D versions. SketchUp is ok for simple designs or designs which don’t require a huge amount of iterations. For more complex designs and for designs which go through many iterations I would recommend you use a parametric constrained based modelling software such as Fusion, SolidWorks etc.

Budget will be an obvious factor … if this is to support your work then it’s another tool to invest in.

As I get into more complex (for me !) projects, so I'd like to be able to design them properly and take advantage of cut lists etc.

My background is in software design so I'm very computer literate and generally pick up new packages quickly.

So.. is there anything else out there that maybe does a similar job ? I'd much prefer a desktop rather than cloud based app, but actually anything would do.

Addendum.. this would be for PC, not Mac.
FormZ by autodessys. The pro version can produce csv cutlists from 'info management'. Many people haven't heard of it because the marketing for this gem is atrocious. Powerful and flexible, well suited for woodworking and much more besides. Like sketchup on steroids without the need to group or component every object.

There is plugins for fusion that will do a cut list function. I forget the name now.
Hello @Ollie78,
If you manage to remember the name of Fusion 360 cutlist plugin, please can you share it here?
I have been looking for one for years but so far have not found one that is usable. Have to resort to using a separate piece of software (Gary Darby - CutList) for cut list generation. It is a great little programme but I like changing my design often and having to enter/re-enter parts list manually is tedious.

I use Turbocad. You would need deluxe @ £199 for 3D but I find 3D incredibly useful. Once you get your head around it, it can massively help design. For example, if you want to create meeting/jointed parts, you can draw just one part, duplicate it and then draw a primitive (box/cylinder or whatever) (or use another complex part), and then using 3D subtract, subtract the duplicate complex part from the primitive/second part and the primitive is then a perfect fit against the complex part. You can then measure all the dimensions knowing they are correct.

Using 3D add and subtract you can build up complex parts and designs very quickly.

Not sure about cut lists - I just create all the parts and then measure them.

I use Turbocad. You would need deluxe @ £199 for 3D but I find 3D incredibly useful. Once you get your head around it, it can massively help design. For example, if you want to create meeting/jointed parts, you can draw just one part, duplicate it and then draw a primitive (box/cylinder or whatever) (or use another complex part), and then using 3D subtract, subtract the duplicate complex part from the primitive/second part and the primitive is then a perfect fit against the complex part. You can then measure all the dimensions knowing they are correct.

Using 3D add and subtract you can build up complex parts and designs very quickly.

Not sure about cut lists - I just create all the parts and then measure them.
Another vote for Turbocad. It's not as intuitive as Solidworks or Sketchup but it's much cheaper than SW and much more useful than SU.

Well.. I had a very fruitfull day today.

I persevered with a project in Sketchup.. and continued to find it very irritating and struggled. I got to a certain point and put a message on the Sketchup forum to ask for help with my frustrations.

My queries were answered on the forum by an American chap, who then private messaged me.

As a result of that he then spent 3 hours on a Zoom call with me, taking me through my project, explaining where I'd gone wrong and showing me the correct way to do things.

So.. I'm am much enlightened and happy to persevere with Sketchup, and whilst I still find certain aspects to be counter intuitive, I am now at the stage where I'll continue to use it.

And... there there are some very kind people out there prepared to help.

@fleyh if you see post #2 @city17 mentions OpenBOM as a free plugin for hobbyists.

HTH

Padster
Hello @Padster
Are you sure OpenBOM is actually able to produce the cut list?
I have used OpenBOM in the past. It could do the bill-of-materials / parts-list but it could not produce the actual "Cut List". I.e. it could not show how to cut a set of parts from a set of available stock like previously mentioned "Cut Optimizer" and Gary Darby - CutList can show.

Hello @Padster
Are you sure OpenBOM is actually able to produce the cut list?
I have used OpenBOM in the past. It could do the bill-of-materials / parts-list but it could not produce the actual "Cut List". I.e. it could not show how to cut a set of parts from a set of available stock like previously mentioned "Cut Optimizer" and Gary Darby - CutList can show.
@fleyh ah my mistake - I see what you meant now

Back