Beginer wood carver tools (small relief work)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob39

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm looking to have a go at wood carving, such things as wood spirits/relief work, Looking through You tube, carvers appear to use 4/5 tools. A couple of knives (roughing and detail knife) and 2/3 palm chisels (gouge, v chisel) Anyone offer any advice on this and sizes of chisels. Looking for a basic set but the axminster ones have a bad rep. Henry Taylor appears to get reasonable reviews
Rob

Depends what you're going to carve Rob.

If fine detail work then a set of 6 palm chisels are very nice to use but too small for larger general work. Any of the well known makes are good and I had a set of Henry Taylor "acorn" brand which I sold to a forum member when I aquired a set of 12 Pfeil which is my favourite brand.
Standard carving chisels are best not bought as a set as you'll not use most of them. Buy singly as you need them. I do most of my carving with no more than half a dozen gouges though I own probably 60+ :oops: (We all love tools do we not? :lol: )

cheers
Bob

Hi Rob,

I'm working on putting together some sets at the moment, including one for wood spirits.

If you would like to help out with the selection process, we could try a few options, compare notes etc.

If you're interested drop me an email or a PM.

Back