Beech Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Established Member
Reaction score
My parents have just splashed-out on a Plain English kitchen :shock: (I'm in France and their in England) but wanted me to make a simple dining table that could be shipped over and plonked in situ....

The rails are dovetailed into the legs and the top is dowelled with dominos....

Posting this as it's the first build I've done in beech... Wonderful to work with!!!!

Cheers

Russ

table.jpg

Nice job Russ! Nice simple design and easy to transport. What did you use for a finish or is that still to do?

Looks like you have a mega table saw there and plenty of sawdust! Clearly you are making more than just tables?

cheers
Steve

Orcamesh":1uw502dx said:
Nice job Russ! Nice simple design and easy to transport. What did you use for a finish or is that still to do?

Looks like you have a mega table saw there and plenty of sawdust! Clearly you are making more than just tables?

cheers
Steve

I'm guessing tung oil, but will this darken the beech? They'd really prefer a clear resistant finish...

The saws a Wadkin, fine example of British engineering, get a tear in my eye every time I press the green button!

I make whatever comes my way, well try to!

Cheers

Russ":bis9tg1h said:
Orcamesh":bis9tg1h said:

cheers
Steve

I'm guessing tung oil, but will this darken the beech? They'd really prefer a clear resistant finish...

The saws a Wadkin, fine example of British engineering, get a tear in my eye every time I press the green button!

I make whatever comes my way, well try to!

Cheers

Tung oil, ummmm, don't know, never used tung oil. Maybe someone else can help on this? I suspect with Beech being a relatively light wood that any sort of oil will darken it and I guess it is just a question of how much. I guess you will try the tung oil on a test piece first? If I recall correctly I think tung oil can take a long long time to dry?

If you want to prevent darkening then I would use sanding sealer and then lacquer (x3 coats), preferably sprayed.

As for the Wadkin, I have never used one but have heard many great reports about them. It certainly looks the dogs...!!!

Back