Bedside Tables (project no 2!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Saville

Established Member
Reaction score
HI All,

So here's a couple of pics of my 2nd project (not so much detail here as the first :( ).

I made these table a couple of years back for the spare bedroom. European Oak. The tools used were mostly hand tools & elbow grease - I did use an electric drill to remove most of the material in the M&T's and a Router to round the edges - apart from that is was planes, chilsels, sandpaper and saws.

Whilst the finish looks ok and has worn well I'm not sure I've done that right. I applied about 4 coats of sanding sealer with a light rub down between each coat. It still looks ok now but I'm not sure what the future will hold . . .

As for the drawers . . . :oops: no fancy joinery here, or even nice wood. Just some horrible spruce and nasty butt joints I'm afraid and even they're not very well done - a lesson for next time.

Overall I'm reasonably pleased but do regret not taking more care of the drawers.

bedside2.jpg

bedside.jpg

Looks a nice piece of workmanship to me.

Do you know that Cornwall gets crowded in the summer and it can take 3 hours to get out of St. Ives on a wet day. Thats longer than crossing London.

Yes, I am aware of the problems caused by 'emmets'. I'm going to be in St Austell which hopefully doesn't suffer so much as the other areas.

Jim, nice useful tables - wish as much useful furniture came out of my own w'shop. :oops:

Should you be thinking of visiting Eden while in Saint Estelle (as a French visitor called it - took us a while to realise she meant what we call "Snozzle" :D ) if you can make it on Saturday morning that's apparently the quietest time. And take the lift if you can - great view. Don't mind DW, he's a Devonian and thus can only think in terms of rain... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3b7to7z2 said:
Don't mind DW, he's a Devonian and thus can only think in terms of rain... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

hmmmmmmmmmm :wink:
Cheers Mike

If the A30 ain't finished across Gossmoor when you visit you'll save time bypassing Cornwall and carry on to the east coast of the USA :lol: :wink:

Re: Rain..... Devonians notice it when it start to rain.
The Cornish just don't know it rains all the time. :wink:

Have a good time but bring your wellies. :lol:

My wife is cornish so I'm well prepped for the ordeals that lie ahead 8-[ . Most looking forward to a nice big garden which has room for me to build a nice big workshop 8) .

. . . .then there's just the small matter of getting some tools to fill it :D

First things first though - I need to learn how to sharpen my hand tools properly - those used on the tables above were I suspect not nearly as sharp/accurate as they might have been.

Ack, stick, wrong end of. Thought you were holidaying down here, not moving #-o Sheesh, for two pins I'd be moving the other way meself - the only consolation is the licence to wind up Devonians with such ease... :wink: When you're settled, if you want some hands-on help with the sharpening and don't mind venturing a bit deeper into the Void feel free to give a yell.

Yer Lordship, when we went through last Friday the actual Goss Moor bit was open (made rude gestures to the bridge from afar, just for old time's sake :lol: ) unfortunately not all the rest is so there's still a right old pickle at the St Austell junction. Still, it'll be joyous when it's all working. \:D/

Cheers, Alf

Back