Beating the cold snap for free .....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggflan

Established Member
Reaction score
Because we keep getting lots of this

DSC00516.jpg

I spent one day last week making this

DSC00505.jpg

And the effect in my workshop was this

DSC00511.jpg

Cost was nothing , diddly squat , freebie and all other terms meaning it didnt cost me anything at all , just a few hours work

:D

Its not the best looking stove in the world but it works very well and im now back to working in a t-shirt in january . When the spring turns up i intend to take it to bits and alter it slightly by adding an air inlet and perhaps a hot plate for the top , my scrap pile haqs been made a lot smaller since i fitted this in and there is no more bits of rubbish lying around as they all go straight on the fire :wink:

barkwindjammer":15iy3ifr said:
Been following this guys ideas, not got any metal working tools or welding equipment though, will have to provide beer money to one of my pals to do the do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6goe4o4ItTk

I used an angle griner to make a hole then a jigsaw with metal bit in to create the door and hole in the top , the door is held on with hinges and self tappers , the top was an old lid from a garden bin incinerator , this was held into place with a good dollop of fire cement and more self tappers :wink:

What i will add is please remember to get all gas from the bottle by unscrewing the valve and filling with water , you may think it is empty but the smell of gas escaping when you fill with water is amazing (do outside)

Looks like a handy piece of work eggflan!! :D One thing though, is there an ash pan? :lol:

The trouble i find since putting a stove into my shop is that you burn everything!! You could be making something and think, 'ah, now, I have a grand offcut that'll do the job.......oh, wait, pineapple! I burnt that!! :cry: ', haha. Still though, it makes working in the winter almost a pleasure and come summer you'll miss the sound of the cracking wood! :D

Nice work. I won't say anything about how you now know how it feels! Here in the British Columbia Interior we normally have anywhere from 10 to 15 feet of snow by now. Right now it is raining, gray and very soggy.
There is nothing like a woodstove in a shop. But please be careful. Check your flue. Watch your airborne sawdust and NEVER throw sawdust in the heater... it's like throwing gasoline on the flames.

I take it you used a scrap gas bottle with permission from the Liquid Gas Company? :lol:

I do not think they would take very kindly to their property being used in this way? The containers belong to the Company - you only borrow the container (having paid a deposit) and pay for the gas.

Rod :wink:

Harbo":gc6d2jm6 said:
I take it you used a scrap gas bottle with permission from the Liquid Gas Company? :lol:

I do not think they would take very kindly to their property being used in this way? The containers belong to the Company - you only borrow the container (having paid a deposit) and pay for the gas.

Erm yes of course i did and they were more than happy for me to cut it up , i just told them i was really cold :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:

Hi eggflan,

I admire your ingenuity. However, In this day and age, I wouldn't dare try this.

My 'shop' is an integral garage. In the case of a fire, when my insurance company found out I'd made a wood-burner myself they would laugh at my claim! Well, at least, I'm sure they would refuse to pay out.

Even if I bought top-of-the-range wood-burner, I think they would want to know, and up would go my premium!

:shock:

Regards
John

Benchwayze":2dk77jix said:
Hi eggflan,

I admire your ingenuity. However, In this day and age, I wouldn't dare try this.

My 'shop' is an integral garage. In the case of a fire, when my insurance company found out I'd made a wood-burner myself they would laugh at my claim! Well, at least, I'm sure they would refuse to pay out.

Even if I bought top-of-the-range wood-burner, I think they would want to know, and up would go my premium!

:shock:

Regards
John

Thats a fair point John but my shop is 100ft away from the house at the bottom of the garden , also it is not touching any other building :wink: , if it burns down it will just destroy itself :shock: anyway i dont leave once the fire is lit :wink:

Harbo":2j0n10vg said:

in that case perhaps they would like to do something about the number of dumped items of their property lying arrond the countryside - perhaps ther council could send them a bill for removal

incidentally you can buy gas bottle stoves here if you want one but dont fancy making your own

You have a point Moose. If I paid for rubbish disposal, and the people I engaged fly-tipped it, anything traceable to me would mean a summons for me. Seems big corporations are exempt then?

John :?

Harbo":14qwldym said:

I wonder how that works when the item in question is on a property that changes hands. When we moved into our house there was a gas bottle left in the garage. Now I didn't rent the bottle, and one of the things that our solicitor warned us about Completion is at the moment of completion everything on the property becomes the property of the new owner (which is why you need to have moved out before completion). So what happens about items the previous owner was renting or borrowing?

I remember at University one of the people running the Film Society owned a print of the Italian Job. Apparently the only reason that he was able to do this was because he bought it from a liquidation auction of a cinema that had done bust. Apparently even though the cinema was only renting the print from the distributor, as it was on the premises at the time the cinema went bust it was fair game to be auctioned off to pay the creditors. I wonder if it is something similar when you find the things that the previous occupier left behind after renting.

Stove looks great and good recycling of an old gas bottle that nobody wants. The only addition that I would make, one that would only cost a few ponds is a carbon monoxide detector. Just in case the flue gets blocked, completely or partially, and there's a bit of incomplete combustion I'd want the early warning of a problem that one of these screwed to the wall would offer. Just a suggestion.
Simon

frugal":2ltrvk2z said:
Harbo":2ltrvk2z said:

I wonder how that works when the item in question is on a property that changes hands. When we moved into our house there was a gas bottle left in the garage. Now I didn't rent the bottle, and one of the things that our solicitor warned us about Completion is at the moment of completion everything on the property becomes the property of the new owner (which is why you need to have moved out before completion). So what happens about items the previous owner was renting or borrowing?

I remember at University one of the people running the Film Society owned a print of the Italian Job. Apparently the only reason that he was able to do this was because he bought it from a liquidation auction of a cinema that had done bust. Apparently even though the cinema was only renting the print from the distributor, as it was on the premises at the time the cinema went bust it was fair game to be auctioned off to pay the creditors. I wonder if it is something similar when you find the things that the previous occupier left behind after renting.

I think thart this only pertains to things that were legally the property of the previous owner , if they dont own it then they can't sell it and you cant buy it (like if you buy in good faith a car that turns out to be stollen you dont get to keep it)

rented goods belong to the person that rents them out and therefore cannot be sold on by the person who hired them.

However what happens in most cases is that the hire company takes action against the hirer for cost recovery and the goods are then written off.

gas cylinders are a bit different because you pay a perpetual hire fee when you first buy them so the company that owns them doesnt realise if you are not in possesion of them at a later date.

if they are dumped then it is technicaly the responsibility of the person who hired them to pay for the clean up (but in practice it would cost too much for the council to trace them so they just go to either scrap or landfil) - however the title to them remains with the lpg company so you cant buy one except from them

note that although i'm reasonably sure of the above i'm not a lawyer, just someone who deals with a lot of flytipping, so dont take it as a definitive legal opinion

Latest posts

Back