Beam planers for hire?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antdad

Reaction score
Hello gents

I'm not sure this is quite the right place to post this question but I'm preparing some 8" beams for a project and I'd like to hire a beam planer for a day/weekend. I've read a few threads and it seems it may depend on your location but I haven't been able to source one anywhere. If all is lost I'm now aware of the Triton TLP 180 large planer that I could purchase locally but I'd rather not as it'll probably be it's only use so any help to locate one will be gratefully received. TIA

You are very unlikely to find one. The only very large hand held planers I am aware of are the Mafell (which is about £3k), Makita (sometimes seen second hand) and the Triton you refer to. I have two of the Tritons and I thin they are great value, but I doubt you will find them on the hire market. In your shoes I would either use a 4" belt sander or buy the Triton and then sell it on straight after doing the job.

PS: these planers produce a hell of a lot of coarse dust and extraction is not practical. Work outside if you can, with a tarpaulin to catch the mound of shavings you will create.

I'm not certain but the risk of injury to hirers may prevent anyone renting out such a tool. If the timber is new it may be cheaper to get it planed by a local joinery firm.

I think the risk of injury would be to me trying to hoik around a half tonne of beams. ;)

I did manage to contact a hire shop that had a Makita planer who claimed it was 4" but on investigation it was 82mm, really need an absolute minimum of 4" tbh. Just got back from a Screwfix where I received a 10% off voucher for any goods over £80, that might just tip the decision to buying the Triton if I don't make any other progress.

I had a triton and was really impressed with it. Sold it when another child came and along and had to move house etc etc 🙈 If you buy one for the job and want to sell it on and you’re happy to post to Cheshire let me know. I’m sure we can sort something

You will find that the Triton (7" approx) does a far better job on beams that a 3" or 4" and you will spend a lot less time taking out tramlines with a belt sander. I usually work with 6" beams so for me the Triton can do most things with a single pass. That said, I managed to make three oak framed (roof included) outbuildings just using the planes I already had an a big belt sander with 40 and 80 grit. Takes a lot longer, but can be done.

Where are you based?

You can borrow my Triton for a week, I'm in Haddenham, Bucks. But you're going to have to collect it and drop it off, I'm afraid.

Where are you based?

You can borrow my Triton for a week, I'm in Haddenham, Bucks. But you're going to have to collect it and drop it off, I'm afraid.

Wow and many thanks that is an extraordinarily generous offer, I'm only an hour away in Uxbridge but you're a little too late. I ordered a Triton yesterday, picked it up lunchtime today and gave it a spin this afternoon.

Last edited:
Ah, shame I didn't see it sooner.
Enjoy the new toy (which, as you know now, the Triton isn't)!!

Latest posts

Back