Advice, please. SIP 10 x 6 Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everybody,
I've been a 'licenced listener' for some time and found great advice that veered me away from some potential bad buys, for that I'm grateful.
I'm in the 'want' market for a Thickness Planer and have come across this SIP 10 x 6, I'm aware that it has aluminium tables etc, I'm no joiner but have always come across a need to change a dimension from wood I already have. What are the 'other' named machines that are similar or the same for reference?
It's agreed at a, I think reasonable £200. Given what it is I'd appreciate your input?

234014744_4229193613834217_6755485990456112346_n.jpg
235025032_4213164985386340_4019777705552822571_n.jpg
235253352_4179248868831584_7612004102674200231_n.jpg

If I was you, instead of cheap planer/thicknesser, I would buy better quality thicknesser only.

I had the same model from new for 14 years and it served me well with only one hiccup along the way when I needed to replace the capacitor. I passed it on to a friend who is still using it now.It is a clone of many similar brands all of which do the job they were made for, the only real downside to it was that it was loud and got very loud if you got greedy and tried to take to much off with a single pass.Changing from planer to thicknesser is a bit of a pain but once you get the hang of it ,its not a problem There are of course better machines out there for a price, but £200 is a pretty good price if its in fair condition.Spare parts are easily found and parts/new blades are not going to make your eyes water.

I'm pretty sure AEG made one very similar to that SIP, before DeWalt bought em out....
it was a good machine...that was a good machine....sorry I canot remember the number as mine is in storage.....
dont worry to much if u've not enough money to buy a cast iron machine.....ally is OK....
try and buy something like Electra Beckam, Dewalt, Hitachi, Sheppach even Kity etc.....
that way u'll get most of ur money back when u eventually trade up....
the Sip range of stuff is prob better than the Chinese imports but parts are not always easy with the older SIP models...
try and run some wood thru it before u buy.....

I'm pretty sure AEG made one very similar to that SIP, before DeWalt bought em out....
it was a good machine...that was a good machine....sorry I canot remember the number as mine is in storage.....
dont worry to much if u've not enough money to buy a cast iron machine.....ally is OK....
try and buy something like Electra Beckam, Dewalt, Hitachi, Sheppach even Kity etc.....
that way u'll get most of ur money back when u eventually trade up....
the Sip range of stuff is prob better than the Chinese imports but parts are not always easy with the older SIP models...
try and run some wood thru it before u buy.....
I think the same, this seems to be a better quality machine with induction motor etc.

Apart from the colour it looks just like the Metabo / Electra Bekum one. If you add a zero you would get a very nice planer but for value that's a good price for an ok machine. If it runs the only likely problems are worn rubber rollers and blunt knives. Is there a fence with it?

Apart from the colour it looks just like the Metabo / Electra Bekum one. If you add a zero you would get a very nice planer but for value that's a good price for an ok machine. If it runs the only likely problems are worn rubber rollers and blunt knives. Is there a fence with it?
I can tell you (if it helps) that I have had one of these machines for many years and found it to be an adequate addition to the workshop and very useful. Sip themselves don’t supply parts for the older versions but all you need to know is that it is in fact a “ record power pt 260 with a sips badge. I have found that all spare parts are available from record power.

It always depends on what you want to do with it.

For reasonably light and occasional work - great

For serious dressing of timber - go for something with a little more stamina !
I used to have a similar machine and it was "adequate" for light work. Easy to use and "convenient"

I now have an old 14 inch "Beast" ( Sicma ) that weighs about 400 Kg - and it can deal with Aussie hardwoods ! A 5 Hp motor on a star delta start running from a 20 KVa generator. It " CHEWS " through anything !

Back