beam machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I've got loads of old trees and lumber on my farm just waiting to be converted for another life. Been looking at hiring out a woodmiser for a couple of large jobs but for smaller stuff what do you think of this?

http://www.beammachine.com

Ok so you'd waste a bit of wood in the sawing process but of course sometimes the wood ain't going anywhere anyway. I figured I could cut some rough 1" and 2" planks and p/t them up to make some decent stuff?

Its just a hobby for me and just thought it would be something to do on a winter morning too - what do you guys think though? rate it?

Ripping, as opposed to crosscutting, is hard work with a chainsaw, but it does eventually work. You can sharpen the chain to a more aggressive cut, but that does make the saw more dangerous. I'd be a bit worried about the safety philosophy of the company selling this, since the chap in the ad isn't wearing either a helmet or ear defenders. But it might be OK. I've used a similar jig to rip logs into garden benches with an 18 inch saw, and that did work fine. I did do a pretty serious risk assessment first. I do hope you have taken proper chainsaw training!

Bear in mind that your saw bar may be hollow. Clamp hard in the wrong place and you may bend it!

Selly,

Just tell us where you live and we will all come round and sort out this tiresme problem of wood oversupply :roll: :roll: :roll: .

I think this thread ranks as a gloat :lol: :lol:

hi selly try this site www. alaskanmill.co.uk (sorry dont know how to include a link) have not used one, but have seen the results of a tree surgeon i know and was very impressed.

You might also want to look at Logosol who make chainsaw mills that are similar to the Alaskan Mill. Google for Logosol and you will find their website. Both Logosol and Alaskan Mill recommend the use of a ripping chain specifically designed for the purpose.

I had a look at the Alaskan Mill design and fashioned my own saw guide, similar to the Small Log Mill. I have had some success in cutting planks with it, but it was hot, sweaty, noisy work and each one took a long time to complete (I used a Stihl 60-odd cc saw with 20" bar, normal chain). Of course the 3/8" chainsaw kerf wastes a lot of wood, especially if you're trying to cut thinner planks. I'm yet to try using this jig with a proper ripping chain.

Our American friends also have things like the Ripsaw to consider, essentially a bandsaw attachment for a chainsaw. I've never seen anything similar over here, but it has a much thinner kerf than a chainsaw used with its bar & chain so would waste less wood and hopefully cut a bit faster too.

alaskan rig on ebay for around £60 seriously thought about it myself. However am more inclined to go the bandsaw route.

Back