Beach bowl?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bodrighy wrote
Didn't know the old tree was gone

I wondered where you got all that yew from Paul.

You remember the Yew than Pete :?:
Yes it was only supposed to have been trimmed but they got carried away and butchered it.So it was replaced with a new one,after local residents complained.
This was all before i was into turning else i would've been their with the boot open :D

The Yew at Fortingall in Perthshire is reputed to be at least 2000 years old (legend has it that Pontius Pilate played under it as a boy before being shipped off as a slave by the Romans) Like all yews, the trunk has successively rotted away so that the ring of new growth shows the diameter of the trunk - about 30 ft I think. It stands in what is now the churchyard, but probably predates Christianity, so suggests that that particular site was of some sacred significance long before.

I have some offcuts of yew from Megginch castle in the Carse of Gowrie, between Perth and Dundee, which was planted by monks about 1500 years ago. Unfortunately it tends to have a lot of cracks and shakes, but is a beautiful dark mellow colour.

Pete II

Back