Battening out under stairs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutley Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all. I hope you're well. I am after some advice. I am turning the area under the stairs into a toilet room so I need add plaster board to the bottom of them. So I would like to know how to ad flattens to the stairs to fix the plaster board to. Sounds basic but always good to seek advice.

Thanks in advance for your help. Regards Lee

A much used system is to fix the plasterboard to the bottom of the strings after fixing a suitable thickness of timber down the centre line by screwing into the back of the treads. In most cases a length of floorboard works out well.
The centre support obviously needs to be level with the strings and provide a fixing for the centre of the plasterboard.
Mike.

Mike Jordan":11yk1hyf said:
A much used system is to fix the plasterboard to the bottom of the strings after fixing a suitable thickness of timber down the centre line by screwing into the back of the treads. In most cases a length of floorboard works out well.
The centre support obviously needs to be level with the strings and provide a fixing for the centre of the plasterboard.
Mike.

Hi Mike. Thanks for the reply. For some reason I didn't get notified by email that you replied. As there was a wall built on one side and so only one stringer to attach to, I ended up cutting batons on the 45 one end and the middle and fixing these between the treads. Seems to have done the job.

Now, I am turning this are into a toilet and so partitioning a section off for the back of the toilet. Behind the toilet is a gas meter which obviously needs access to it. In have cut out the brick and will frame this. What I want to know is what material would you use for this door? Is will be 450mm wide by 700mm high. Ideally I want to add hinges that I don't need to cut in on the door and the frame. A quick job really. Can you recommend anything? These hinges obviously need to be factored in by the thickness of the door?

Again, thanks for then help in advance All!!

Morning guys. Can anyone give me some recommendations on wood and hinges that don't need to be recessed for this project?

Thank you

So this is where I am upto. I have boxed in the consumer unit etc and am thinking of cover g this with 9mm mdf. Where the access will be I shall use 9mm mdf stuck with Velcro. Would this be Ok?

Now the door. Could I use 9mm mdf for that but get hinges that go on the inside? Please see images. Oh, how do I post photos?

Ah come on guys and girls. 290 views and only one reply. Please can someone offer me some advice! Pretty Please!!!

dickm":rs6ri4kj said:
The quoted size is pretty close to one of the standard kitchen cab door sizes. Local recycling centre or Gumtree?

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Do you mean I should find an old door to cut down?

Cheers

Mutley Racers":29k0atl6 said:
dickm":29k0atl6 said:
The quoted size is pretty close to one of the standard kitchen cab door sizes. Local recycling centre or Gumtree?

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Do you mean I should find an old door to cut down?

Cheers

Ah ha, unread my message. You are referring to the 450mm x 700mm. Wouldn't it be easier and quicker to make a door. I would just like to know the best material for this and thickness with hinges etc. It will only be opened a couple of times a yr.

I have read that you can use flush hinges on 12mm MDF as long as you pilot 2mm and use size 3 screws. Is this correct? Cheers

Back