bass wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd normally associate it with carving, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be ideal for scrolling.

I have a couple of pieces scrolled by an American buddy of mine. They look clean, sharp and very smooth. Bit like solid balsa wood but a bit heavier. I understand that what the American's call Bass wood, we call lime? But I'm not sure where I heard it.

Barry

I'll let you know what it's like in about 20 years when I've dried some of this:
LimePile.jpg

Attachments

• LimePile.jpg
    LimePile.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 856
softest hardwood you can get isn't it? (excluding balsa). same stuff that the blinds companies use so they can claim "hardwood" on their shutters.

great for scrolling, cheap rubbish for shutters. :)

JanetsBears":39eziuar said:
I'll let you know what it's like in about 20 years when I've dried some of this:

I would cut the logs where possible to remove the centre also cut it down to a usable size will also reduce the drying time

Dalboy":y1q0r4zs said:
JanetsBears":y1q0r4zs said:

I would cut the logs where possible to remove the centre also cut it down to a usable size will also reduce the drying time

Yes, that's one of my Christmas jobs while I await delivery of my scroll saw. Finished work for the year yesterday so may get started today, it's a big pile! I've also got a larger pile of ash to do, but most of that will be used as firewood, and we can even use that now with no seasoning.

Back