Barcelona, robbery, police, British Consul, immigration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
This is long, so move on if you want.

If space had permitted, the title of this tale would have been:

Barcelona, robbery, police, British Consul, daylight robbery, gunmen and immigration

I've had a few days away with my mate Bob. I owe him big time for being an unpaid cameraman.

"When all this is over, I'll treat you to a few days away", says I. "Where would you like to go?"

Now Bob doesn't do holidays. A weekend at Centre Parcs with his music pals is his most exotic destination. "Paris or Barcelona", he says, jokingly.

"I don't like Paris, it's one big dog toilet, we'll go to Barcelona", says I. So, after factoring in months of Bob's gigs, off we went last Sunday.

Fantastic place, art everywhere, sunshine.

And thieves.

I had my handbag stolen while we were having a coffee. I didn't put it on the floor or over the back of my chair. I put it on the table in front of me where i could see it and the turnip still got it. Bag, hand-made embossed wallet. Sterling, Euros, PASSPORT, driving licence, spectacles, contact lens stuff.

I don't think I've ever been so angry. If I'd have caught him I would have committed murder and been proud of having done so.

The police were quite good, actually. I don't speak any Spanish (except that bit that sounds like Italian, and I don't speak a lot of that) but they provided an officer who spoke good English (his dad was from Coventry). They asked if we would recognize the thief, Would we look at some photos? It was a nasty collection of ne'er-do-wells, I can tell you, but we didn't spot our man. I asked the cop how many case like this her saw. 2 or 3? 20?, 50?. He laughed. 100, and not per day, just on his shift. I was just a statistic.

So that was 5 hours.

Next day we went to the British Consul. We had to wait while they dealt with a man who was trying to get back to England to give himself up, having been on the run for 7 years after pulling a gun on someone. He was just tired of hiding I think, and after being called as a witness in a murder trial in the US had decided he was too old for this game. He seemed like a regular bloke, actually, but it was certainly quite nerve-jangling being alone in a room with such a guy.

So we had the police report, and yes, I could get an Emergency Passport, valid for 48 hours, one way, single use, €74 plus photos. To get me into my own country.

At the airport, I met a lady who had had hers taken that day, so she had a police report but no emergency passport. She was Dutch, although she lived in Leamington Spa. She didn't know if they would let her in and had visions of being flown out to Amsterdam. She had €2 in her pocket and that was it.

She did get in, no problem, which leads me to ask, "Why on earth didn't the BC tell me I could get home without an Emergency Passport?". I'd have saved myself half a day and a fistful of squids.

The good things, such as they are out of all this, is that he didn't get my phone, or my nice new MP3 player, or my Festool pen, (nice writer - I was doing a crossword at the time). He didn't even get all my money, most of it was back in the apartment. He didn't get my Good Woodworking penknife, which has accompanied me around the world until the present paranoia. There was no violence involved and we did meet a couple of ladies from Ireland, mother and daughter, who were not so lucky. The daughter had been jumped upon and pinned to the ground. But she was a feisty lady and the bag was under her. The thief ran off and she kept her bag, although she was covered in bruises. My attack could have been like that or worse.

But there was a photo of SWMBO from before we were married, and a magazine clip about Ercol furniture, from an in-flight magazine C.1987, which was largely responsible for me being inspired to design my own furniture.

The insurance will pay up for most of it, but there is cap on the value and I'm pretty sure I'll be out of pocket.

Do you know what I'm saddest about? The perpetrator was North African, Moroccan, probably. After the event, I found my self looking at every dark face and being instantly suspicious. There were a lot "hanging around", clearly not working and they didn't look like tourists. I saw one clock my pocket on my thigh. One offered us hashish.

But one guy came up to us when we were studying a map and offered to help. He was a genuine guy (Spanish) and was trying to help, but I was immediately wary. I don't like distrusting people, and I'm annoyed with myself for having such thoughts about people based solely on their appearance and my recent experience. I have friends from all over the world, - India, Sweden, Germany, China, Middle East, crikey, there are even some Americans I call friends, that's how cosmo I am, but I was making judgements about people based on what they look like. I'm sorry about that.

That's it, I'm never leaving the house again. I should be at Stoneleigh today, but it just seems like too much bother :(

S

Bad luck, Steve - guess you were unlucky. I went to Barcelona about three years ago and thought it was a lovely place. No trouble at all. Maybe I look like a down-and-out with no money :?

Hope the insurance pays up.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Bad luck Steve, it is hard to trust anyone that you don't know after something like this happening, having said that, it may be a good thing to be like that and it'll help history not repeating itself.

Better luck for the future

Dan
Yes, in your best Lady Windermere voice, A Handbag. I've carried one for 25 years and there is no homophobic joke you can make that I haven't heard before. And no, I'm not gay, although I have no objections if you are. Live and let live (except for thieving sprouts), I say.

It started when I had to carry three different contact lens bottles around with me, plus home keys and work keys, wallet and diary. I looked like a packhorse. So I bought a bag and have worn out a dozen or more since. It's a very practical solution, although of course, if it gets nicked then you are in trouble.

I've no plans on becoming a packhorse again.

S

Steve Maskery":10r8322v said:
Dan
Yes, in your best Lady Windermere voice
Steve

The current preferred vernacular for the modern Metrosexual man's necessity transportation vehicle is a 'ManBag'. :lol:

Cheers

Mark

PS Sorry to hear abnout your experience too. I saw a lot of people behaving in the way you describe when I was there. Certainly takes away a large elemt of your enjoyment when you are constantly watching for people getting too close for comfort.

Dan Tovey":3ktybva8 said:
Steve Maskery":3ktybva8 said:
Dan
Yes, in your best Lady Windermere voice, A Handbag.

Lady Bracknell.

:lol:

And I wasn't casting nasturtians. It's just that if I'd had my bag pinched I probably wouldn't refer to it as a 'handbag'.

Dan

What a bummer, Steve.

It happens everywhere - even London. A gang tried to pick my pocket on the underground in Madrid but fortunately didn't get anywhere. I felt the dip tugging at my pocket and swung round ready to stick one on him but they'd vanished.

Pochette is maybe the word Dan is looking for ?

Dan Tovey":3c1obx6c said:
Lady Bracknell.

And I wasn't casting nasturtians.

I stand corrected, and I didn't think for one moment that you actually were. :)

Trim
Manbag? Don't you just love political correctness?

Roger

Yes, a bummer. Perhaps I should just regard it as a tax on the innocent abroad. :(

Pochette?????????

S

Steve, no matter what anyone calls it, it's a bummer that your belongings were taken. Like you, I would definitely have ideas about what I would do to the low-life who took it.

"nasturtians"? Aren't those a sort of flower? I thought the word in the conext would be "aspersions". Could be wrong, though. ;)

Had a similar thing last month. Went on a short business trip to Naples. The day I was leaving, came out of work to go to the airport and the rental car had been stolen!

So much for immobilisers and dead locks.

Got a lift back to the airport. The rental car people said I had to get a police report. The police at the airport refused to speak English! After a couple of hours of back and forth with the airport police and Europcar, I managed to contact the interpreter lady we had been using at work and she sorted everything out, otherwise I would still be there now.

Now Europcar want to charge me 1700 Euros as the non-insured excess on their insurance, despite the fact that I had bought every single extra insurance that was available.

Dave R":3sn5xdqn said:
"nasturtians"? Aren't those a sort of flower? I thought the word in the conext would be "aspersions". Could be wrong, though. ;)

No you're not wrong, Dave.

You're just American.

It was a deliberate and light-hearted malapropism used in a vaguely ironic fashion.

English people do that sort of thing sometimes.

:wink:

Dan

Dan Tovey":3r0w8d87 said:
Dave R":3r0w8d87 said:

You're just American.

It was a deliberate and light-hearted malapropism used in a vaguely ironic fashion.

Dan

You've had a bad thing happen, Steve. Honest people never really expect to experience daylight robbery because it's so alien to them.

Don't underestimate the shock that you may experience later from this incident.

Dan Tovey":22del925 said:

You're just American.

Dan

=D> =D> =D> =D>
That made me laugh!
S

Bad luck Steve. We went to Barcelona a couple of years back, so we researched lonely planet etc to see what we were gertting into. Honestly, my wife didn't want to go after reading all the horror stories about pickpockets and thieves.

We had no trouble as it happened thankfully, but we were suspicious of one guy who just kept trailing us.

Phil

Peter T":2a285fsi said:
Now Europcar want to charge me 1700 Euros .

We hired a car from Europcar last month. We returned it on time but were charged for an extra day. Customer Services were non-existent. Emails unanswered after 10 days. Eventually I spoke to someone in the UK and they sorted it there and then, but the palalver of getting to them! I wouldn't recommend them.

S

Steve Maskery":381nnkbw said:
It started when I had to carry three different contact lens bottles around with me...

Really sorry to hear this, Steve. But, you've still got your health! :wink: :)

The "manbag" I can kind of understand as my dad takes one abroad with him to carry his camcorder, tapes, spare batteries, etc... But, three bottles of contact lens solution? What's the story there? Were you leaving civilisation for nine months?? :shock: :) :wink:

OPJ
I have difficult eyes. Always have had. With kerataconus the cornea becomes pointed, thin and wrinkled. A contact lens sits on top and forms a "normal" optical surface. but eventually the cornea becomes so pointed that the lens just falls off the point. Time to find a generous corpse, or in my case, two of them.

Back in the early 80's I needed a cleaner, a wetter and saline. Now I have one bottle that does all three. But I seem to have collected other junk along the way! Junk expands to fill the available space, I'm afraid.
S

Back