Bangles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
I was asked to make a bangle for someone which I duly did,.They gave me specific measurements, namely 2 1/2" inner diameter and 3" outer. Fine...except even my diddy little wife struggles to get it on. Assume it was for a child. It was quick and easy to do using a jam chuck so I knocked up a few more while I was at it, a little larger. My question is, what is a good average size for these things. My hands are big and my wife's small so is there a good average to make them?

These are the ones I made. 1st and last are oak, others are all yew.

pete

The bulk of those I do are between 65 & 70 mm Pete, but have had to do them as big as 90mm :!: for a young 90 yr old with arthritis.

One option I have found useful is to do the wider ones at the larger end of the size range with some thinner (width) ones at smaller diameters, these are then selected by the wearer to hold the larger ones they preferred on their arms.

Paul.J":202mljnh said:
Some nice shaped bangles their Pete :D

Thanks Paul, not done them before so I had a play. I'm going to do a few in a plain wood as well and let Sue at them with her poker....sorry pyrography tool. :lol: See what she comes up with

Pete

Suggestion Pete, knock yourself up some plain rings at various sizes between 60 and 80 mm in 2mm steps, then if you get enquiries for specific orders then ask customer to check size required. The option really goes down well on the customer relations front.

Hi Pete,
Nice collection of bangles Pete. I have just nipped through to my Daughters bedroom and measured the ones i did for them and they are 65mm which ties in with Chas and yourself.
I like the yew ones.
Regards,
Ian

Thanks all, just the sort of info and feedback I need. I am going to have to go into a mini production mode with these to make it worth my whle so the suggestions are well worth hearing.

Pete

Being only a moderate obsessive, I only checked about half a dozen big retailers bangle sizes (M&S, Debenhams, Monsoon, Next, etc)....and all - as you might have guessed! - came out close to 65mm.

Which is one of the reasons why your range of available sizes will be very well received! A possible variation is for a partial ring, which enables the wearer to slip it straight on the wrist rather than over the knuckles...

The actual size range/fit for your customers will - IME - be from 50mm to the late 80s and maybe a bit higher, but most will be in the higher percentiles!.

(Again all IME) Most of your customers will have absolutely no interest in the actual wood, however wonderful/glowing it may be - it needs to be light (eg poplar, ash) or medium (almost everything else), or dark (the mahogany types) - any segmenting or patterning (pokerwork included) will often act as a restriction rather than a positive encouragement.

Latest posts

Back