Bandsaws - what to do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul24dual

Established Member
Reaction score
I have posted lots about bandsaws and i'm still no clearer what to buy.

Its been going around & around in my head but not getting any clearer.

Woodworking is brand new to me and the things i want to use my bandsaw for to make are the following

Birdhouses
Toys
Little ornaments like fishes for the bathroom
Chopping boards
Shelfs
Small Furniture - bookcase, small table etc
Maybe bigger furniture later
Picture Frames
Mirrors
Boxes

1. Do i buy new or second hand?
2. Any recommendations on the size i should be looking for? Will a 10" or 12" be ok or do i need something bigger?

Space is a bit of a problem in my garage so that would be a factor too.

I have about £300 to spend

Thanks and hopefully it will make things clearer.

Go second hand, get the biggest you can for your money, Axminster or record etc, then put a new tuff blade on it. You always seem to need a larger bandsaw than you bought.....

Like Nick said, go for the biggest you can afford.

If possible, try to match it with existing machinery.

For example. I have a 10" planer thicknesser and a bandsaw with a 9 1/2" resaw capacity. They are very similar in capacity.

In my eyes there is no point buying a 12"-14" resaw capacity bandsaw if my thicknesser can only take 10"

As previously said, a Tuffsaw blade will turn an average machine into a great machine.

I previously had a 4" bandsaw and with normal blades, struggled to cut cardboard.
With a Tuffsaw blade, it would rip through anything at maximum capacity.

For £300, you should be able to get a bandsaw second hand that can rip 8"-10",

A bandsaw is a fantastic machine that can do so many things.

I can thoroughly agree with that. And not just bandsaw. Over the past 7 years I've upgraded every single major machine tool I own to the one I should have bought on the first place. Table saw, bandsaw and P/T. With bandsaws in particular, the problem with the smaller range machines is even though the capacity might be enough for you, the build quality will generally be poor. If you can stretch to a 2nd hand 14" machine that would be my recommendation and if you can't then at least a Record Power BS300 which are well built enough for your purposes. You're better buying 2nd hand good quality than cheaper brand new.

paul24dual":3an5twyg said:
NickWelford":3an5twyg said:
Bit small, methinks

I've only got a proper small workshop, you would struggle to swing a very small cat in it! I reckon my options are very limited.

I've only got a single garage. You can get a lot of machines and stuff in if it's well organised.

The bandsaw footprint is pretty much the same regardless of capacity. It only increases by a few inches.

Though I agree with the other guys about getting the best you can manage (I bought the stonking great Record 350S), I can see where you're coming from with such limited space.

The projects you list are all pretty small and easy to cut type stuff, so you don't need anything larger, but as you mention "Maybe bigger stuff later on" then you really have to ask how likely that is. If it's very likely, then measure up, and see if you can fit one of the larger, better machines in. If it's unlikely, then by all means stick to trying the smaller options, but I'd suggest focus on quality - especially the build quality, as in a bandsaw, any flex in it's construction is your absolute arch enemy. If the tables are thin aluminium without adequate support, and the main vertical support for the upper section is not substantial enough steel, then you'll never be able to control a cut accurately in anything more than a few mm of wood.

If your build is ok, but small bandsaw has a pretty weak motor, then as long as you have a decently sharp blade, (especially, as TuffSaws recommend, one with only 3-4 tpi) then it'll still handle decent thicknesses so long as you let the blade take it's time to cut very slow, but the chance of getting burnt dark lines in your cuts increases dramatically.

If you can't find one with good construction, I'd personally say you might be better off with a good scroll saw. It can't cut much thickness either, but will at least stay where you put the blade, handle curves etc well, and you can knock up a guide to cut reasonably straight, so long as you take your time. It's a LOT smaller than a bandsaw too - good for your toys etc you mention building.

Nic.

Paul, why not call the guy at Leicester who is offering the Record bandsaw and ask if you could pop over for a look before biding. You may get a better idea and he's not far from you.

However, the advice above is good. Get the biggest you can afford within your budget and then get someone local to you to help set it up with you.

Alex

Latest posts

Back