Bandsawing green wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heronviewer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been bandsawing some plum which was cut in December, and is very green, before end sealing and drying.
My bandsaw tracks well and I have no problem with dry wood - but this plum ! After only five minutes or so, the inside of the blade has a build up of sawdust. I can clean it off frequently, but if I don't, the blade comes off and I clean it and restart.
I've read various comments on this problem and wondered if I should try this one:
I have some "Finish Line dry bike lubricant" which contains teflonfluoropolymer, and produces a "dry, wax-like film" and is for using on bikes in poor conditions (wet) and "produces smoother gear shifts, easier pedalling and less abrasive wear".
I've used it on my lathe bars and it has certainly made moving the head and tail stocks much easier.
If I use this on bandsaw blades, will it work to reduce this sticking I'm having with wet wood ? Is it likely to harm the tyres ? Has anyone tried a product like this ?

Not tried sawing green wood on my BS but I was told you need a blade with a raker tooth to help prevent clogging.

Dry Teflon/PTFE lubricant should be OK on blade, don't think it will cause slip or problems on the tyres, don't think it would last long though and would be abraded off.

Personally, I carefully scrape the inside face of the blade whilst running with a sharp edged Hardwood or Alloy scraper.

Thanks for the replies.

I do have raker teeth on this saw.

I have been scraping while running too - but I'm having to do it just as much as I'm sawing almost. I'll try the lubricant and see if that extends the period before I have to start cleaning.

See if you can find some blades with extra set, to cut a wider kerf. I can't remember where I got mine from but it made a big difference. Phone one of the blade manufacturers and tell them you want a blade for cutting green wood, with extra set and they should be able to sort you out

I use the SabreCut Blades from Tuff Saws. they have a wide set. But I still get gummed debris on the blade which I clear as soon as the blade/guide note changes.

Thanks.
I'm using a 3 TPI blade which was supposed to be for green wood. I'll see what Tuff Saws have. Maybe the plum is full of sugar !!

I cut green logs all day and use 1/2" Conquest blades with extra set from Hamilton Beverstock in Cwmbran, fantastic blades for the job. I use their 3/4" ones with normal set for ripping.
May be worth a call..

You wont get away without the sap/dust build up on green wood regardless the blade I'm afraid. The sabre cut series from Tuffsaws are the best I've ever used and of those, the inch wide was the best, but an animal mind!

I do use ptfe/dry lube and that really helps but about every 20 minutes or so you still need to scrape the left hand side of the blade while running being extremely careful to avoid hitting the set of the teeth of course. I use a converted paint scraper which I sharpen on my grinder.

I've just got a sabre cut saw from Tuff saws and before fitting it used "Finish Line dry bike lubricant" on it.

I tried it out for about 5 minutes on green wood and had no build up at all - a clean blade. It's maybe not nearly a long enough test and I will get problems in future, however, it is much better than it was.

Thanks for all the advice !

Back