bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just hobby as I had to take early retirement 2yrs early so need something to do in the shed got a scroll saw so make some small pieces for the charity shops and family

Philip, having a look at the link blackrodd put up, it looks virtually identical to my Einhell (which is not a big surprise because Einhell are well known for their "badge engineering"!). All the notable dimensions are the same as mine, and about the only difference I can see is that your Sealey has a mitre guide, my Einhell has not.

If so then it's definitely worth the 60 quid (mine cost more than that direct from Einhell Germany as one of their factory repaired returns) and provided it's used with a bit of common sense (no overloading mainly) then it works well and quite reliably (mine is now about 3 years old).

The keys to success are:

1. Buy Steve Maskery's Workshop Essentials band saw DVDs - money VERY well spent - then follow the set up instructions religiously, and;

2. Buy blades from Tuffsaws, Ian John - if the Sealey-supplied blade is like the Einhell, it will be rubbish and the difference compared to a Tuffsaw blade is night & day, really. If you're not sure exactly which blade you need, ask Ian John, he's very helpful and very knowledgeable.

Both the above are members of this Forum and apart from being a very satisfied customer of both I have no connection at all with either.

Once you get the saw set up you'll slowly but surely become frustrated with the (lack of) access to the various adjustment points. Nothing too serious here, and myself, each time I've done an adjustment or changed a blade I've spent an extra 10 mins with files and drills etc, just CAREFULLY expanding the access holes & slots to make adjustment easier next time around.

If your Sealey is like my Einhell then also note that 2 and a (verey little) bit turns on the top tensioning knob is about the sensible maximum - the wheels are both light alloy castings and a bit inclined to break if you do over tension your blade - DAMHIKT! Easy to fix though, with plywood discs bolted and Araldited on (don't forget to re balance the wheel/s afterwards).

I say all the above with a pretty fair degree of confidence, which, considering that until about 3 years ago I'd probably never even seen a band saw, is maybe somewhat surprising. But whatever I do know now is all down to the flying start I got with Steve Maskery's DVD, as above - V highly recommended.

HTH

AES

Back